How do you guys change u-joints? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

How do you guys change u-joints?

As the title says: what method do you guys use?
Vise
big c-lamp
press
tiger tool
BFH and sockets/pipe
take em to a shop
other??

I'm getting fed up with the hammer and socket way, got any tips for me. Have nothing but trouble getting the caps over on to the yoke without messing the needles up..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 05:16 PM

Re: How do you guys change u-joints?

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Generally I use the BFH/socket method, unless I'm not in a hurry, then I'll take it to a guy at a driveline shop that will do them for $5 apeice or so. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.harborfreight.com>www.harborfreight.com</a> sells a really cool tool called a 3 in 1 that is a neat little press, should work great for u-joints, although I've only used one to press in bushings when I did the suspension on my Z28.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 05:33 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I usually go with the ol' big and little socket &amp; C-clamp method. It's a nice subtle method, does not make a lot of racket...a plus for an ol' fart like me.[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 05:56 PM

Vise and sockets. Getting to the point where I might take it to a shop though, I had the ears split on a front axle u-joint once, not worth saving the 5 bux if you have a convenient shop nearby. YMMV
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2002, 09:25 PM

well the least effective way i haev done it it was with a rock anda leatherman...but you can do it that way. hammer and socket works well for me. if i am at My house i either use the vice and socket or just put em on the press.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 10:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I use a vice and a hammer no socket's or pipe's.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 11:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I broke a vise changing a U-joint using a pair of sockets about 2 years ago. Now, I use a big steel dowel rod (1" diameter) and an anvil or a chunk of wood to elevate the shaft.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 02:56 PM

Press at work...

If the shops closed... bench vise and some steel stock..
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 08:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

All I need is a 20 hammer, a visegrip, and a flat screwdriver. No sockets, I just use the old cross once I have it out. It's hard to explain all the little tricks so you dont loose needles, but one of the main ones is to put the first cap in farther than it needs to go, then the cross, so that you can seat the other cap onto the needles and then pound it through to where it needs to be. Also, when putting in the first cap, set it in and put the new cross in place. Now put the old cross underneath(against the new cap) and tap down on the entire yoke assembly. I have always tried to use the least amount of toolage posible when changing u-joints, because if you get spoiled with a shop, how are ya gonna change em out on the trail when they break?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2002, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

I've been using a 3' length of 1.5" schd 80 pipe with a tee fitting on the end to hammer the cups into, and a BFH &amp; socket.. The other morning when I posted this question I was having serious issues with my front pinion joint, but once I woke up a little more the unit went together in no time.

Anyone use anything else than visegrips to remove the caps succesfully. Those suckers never want to come out for me either... then again maybe my ujoint problem is sheer age on the few remaining joints.

Thanks for the replies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode