Spring problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 08:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Spring problems

Folks

This is my first post on the board. This is also my first lifted vehicle.

I own a 72 GMC K1500 which has been lifted 6".

I have a problem with my front left spring pack in that I get considerable popping and groaning noises when I turn the wheel in either direction while the vehicle is at a standstill. After considerable effort I have determined that the popping and groaning is caused by the spring pack moving ( ever so slightly) across the ( I may be using the wrong term here) spring mount that sits on to of the axle tube. I have no such movement or sounds on the left side. I have tightened all U bolts.

I have noticed the following about my truck:

The shackles which that hold the rear of the left front spring are bent in such a manner that the rear of the spring is not alligned with the frame rail but is slightly off center with the frame rail to the inside of the frame.

The shackles which hold the rear of the right front spring are bent in such a manner that the rear of the spring is not aligned with the frame rail but is allinged slightly off center to the outside of the frame rail.

Should these shackles be bent at all?

Is one or the other set of shackles installed improperly?

Am I worried about nothing and should I not be concerned with this as it is normal for the springs on a lifted truck to groan?

Thanks for any help

Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2002, 11:04 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Spring problems

This is one of those deals that's hard to figure out unless you are there to see it. But.. your shackles should be in line with your frame and springs. Sounds like a previous owner did a "duke boy" stunt on it and may have bent them. The creaks could be a result of the torsional force of turning. It may be a result of the bent shackles. Since they are bent, when you turn they are probably being stressed, and that is where the sound is coming from. Your going to have to either straighten them or replace them...I would elect to replace, but I don't know how bad they are either. You should also check to see that it's not a steering related problem. I'm not sure that a 72 had the same frame cracking problems that the next generation had (around the steering box, on the frame), but it could be something to look for, as it may have happend as a result of abuse. Give it a good going over, and if you are pretty sure that it is not steering related, then get the new shackles and go from there. If getting the new shackles takes care of it then great, if not keep searching. Anyway, hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode