Ideas and opinions on Goodwrench 350 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 11:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ideas and opinions on Goodwrench 350

Hi, I just picked up a Goodwrench 350 crate motor to put in my 84 1/2 ton shortbed, it is replacing the stock 305. I have the 700R4 tranny, 208 T-case, 3:73 gears, 4" lift,33" tires. Anyone have any good suggestions on add ons or build ups for this engine ? I'm going to run a Performer manifold, a Holley 670 CFM 4 barrel (For now) 1 5/8" headers and dual exhaust. I'm thinking about tossing a Comp Cams 4x4 extreme cam in it, anyone have any expierience with these ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 01:31 AM

Re: Ideas and opinions on Goodwrench 350

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Hey, you're copying me![img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I got that motor a couple years back, put in a Comp Cams "K" kit with the 258(?) Extreme cam, Heddman headers, 600 cfm Edelbrock carb, Performer intake, Summit cheapie high voltage distributor and a humongo air filter. The thing has been great to me, it'll light up my 38s with to tall of gears (4.09s) and a manual box with no brake used to get it started (Not that I do that very often...[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]), and it's been dead reliable, even when I've flog it. I onl;y have about 10k on it, but alot of those are hard fought miles in mud and sand.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 08:01 AM

Sounds like a good set up to me. The only thing that i would be wary of is the tranny. I know that around 85 or 86 (i think) GM corrected their problems with the early models of the 700R4. As far as the engine goes, sounds great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 08:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm not sure what would happen to the warranty if you change the cam, but if I were to use a Goodwrench 350, I would use a Competition Cam Xtreme 4X4 cam. I'd use a TBI system, with larger throttle blades, on my new Goodwrench 350 also, but then again thats me[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. I'd be more in favor of using a Quadrajet instead of a Holley. A calibrated distributor can make an engine run very nice. I think I'd also use an Edelbrock intake manifold, but I'd use the Performer Air Gap. I also like headers, but I'd most likely use Hooker Headers.
dave
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It sounds like a good combination. I would go with the comp 12-235-2 cam. I would also go with the performer manifold unless you get a bigger cam then I would go with a air gap and a sloppy (higher stall speed) converter.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2002, 08:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the replies, the trans has been rebuilt to newer specs! I'm thinking of throwing on a set of the Vortec heads when I can afford them too! Distributer is a stock hei that has been rebuilt with Accel goodies, and Champion Truck Plug wires. The Holley is a stop gap till I can afford another Edelbrock Q-Jet, they are a bit pricey! Or maybe the new Holley Truck Avenger, they are supposed to be full of all the good stuff! Comp Cams reccommended the 235-1 cam to me, it has a little milder lift and duration, good from 600 - 4600 RPM, would the 235-2 be better in the 350 or would I lose some bottom end and milage ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode