10bolt strong enough?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 12:28 AM
tool

10bolt strong enough??

I have an 88 1/2 ton suburban with a 700r4,10bolt front, and a 12 bolt rear. I plan on installing a 4 inch lift, and running 35/12.50 tires. Will my axles survive?? what can I do to strengthen them if not?? I'm more looking at saftey factors. I don't want a C-clip to break while driving down the road. Not my idea of a good time. Is that a realistic worry? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Swaping in 1 or 3/4 ton gear isn't an option at this point. thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 01:30 AM

Re: 10bolt strong enough??

Well, for the rear you can do a full floater conversion to get rid of c-clips from <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>http://www.offroaddesign.com</a> but that part of there site seams not to work, or at least on my puter, for the front you can get stronger shafts and u-joints. 35's arent as bad on the 1/2 ton gear. Usually 10 bolts don't like anything bigger than 35's but you can still destroy them. Just take it easy on the skinny pedal and don't go around doing 4 wheel burnouts[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img].

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 08:21 AM

Did you swap in the 12 bolt?if not are you sure the suburban has the 12 bolt rear? they stopped putting them in in 78 or 79.It should also have a ten bolt rear. Anywho they are weak. I would avoid 35's unless your gonna baby it every mudhole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 10:14 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>If you don't really abuse them bad you'll probably be OK for awhile, but I'd avoid dumping too much money into them. Speaking from experience, if you go and put a bunch of fancy parts in them you'll end up spending as much or more than if you were to just save the money and buy a 14bFF and a D60 later on. I spent over $2000 beefing up my Dana 44 and 12 bolt, only to continue breaking them. I picked up a 14bff and a D60 last year for $1200. Run 'em till they die, you may never have problems, but save your pennies so you can eventually do an upgrade.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2002, 10:08 AM
tool

yeah I discovered that the burb has 10bolts front and rear
[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] the poor thing. Anyways, I appreciate the advice. I'm gonna go ahead with the 35's and run'em till the 10bolts scream in pain and die. I've been saving up for 1ton running gear. WOOHOO!! someday soon I think. thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode