Neutral Safety switch question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 11:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Neutral Safety switch question

Is there a neutral safety switch on Late 70's Balazers/Jimmys? I did a manual trans conversion last year and did not put one in.
Thanks
Lazydog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 11:47 PM

Re: Neutral Safety switch question

i can;t tell you if there was or not. one can easily be made though
you ahev three option off the top of my head
1) makea placard saying that it doesnt have one so anyone who drives it will know it doesn't
2) install a toggle switch in the ignition wire to the solenoid so you can manually make it unstartable to prevent accidental starting while the clutch is engaged.
3) install a switch i nthe pedal that is a momentary off/on type so that it is off unless the clutch is pressed in. this could also be easily spliced into the solenoid actuating wire
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 12:07 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>My '78 pickup doesn't have one, and it's a good thing, I've stalled and used the starter to crank into a safer position more than once...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 01:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My '78 had a clutch safety switch, as well as my Dad's old '75 , but he disabled his.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 08:47 AM

My 78 K5 has one... I wish GM had something like Toyota offers... the clutch start cancel switch kicks a$$! It's so nice to just push a button on the dash and then kick the starter over when you're stuck on a muddy hill...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 10:16 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Mine must have been disabled when I got the truck. Not surprising since alot of the other stuff didn't work either.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 11:47 AM

Jimmy,
thats essentially whaqt the toggle switch in place will do. but it add yet another switch to the cockpit of teh rig...makes it look like a bloody F/A-18
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 01:40 PM

That would be a good reason to get one of those switch blocks that Painless Wiring makes and then hide it in the console, clean looking and out of the way so people who don't need to be going "what's this switch for?" as they flip it can't.

I agree you could put one in yourself, my point was just that GM should make it a factory option...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 02:30 PM

oh I'm sure GM makes something for it. seems like they make just about anythign one would really need. but they also havea price tag. fur about $3.72 you could hook yourself up at radio shack with the necessary equiptment. you know what. I"m gonna do it to my truck
yup, did it before and i think this truck needs it. that'll keep that damned sister from F'n with it. she ahsn't since the "E-brake incident" but just in case she gets courageous that'll keep her in check.[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode