Head Gasket, and getting it to the shop? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 06:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Head Gasket, and getting it to the shop?

I think I have a bad head gasket because its got antifreeze in the oil and in the exhaust and its running rough. So my trucks been sitting for two days now since I can't get it to the shop yet. I probably shouldn't drive it the 2 miles to the shop right? I have a bobcat trailer that it just might fit on but should I even try starting it to pull it on? I don't even know if it will start though seeing as there is probably so much water in the cylinder, I was thinking of trying to jacknife the trailer right infront of my garage and pulling it up with the bobcat and tow strap. I don't know how easy it would be to do plus its going to be a tight squeeze to clear the wheels between the fenders. I really don't want to have to pull the plugs and change the oil just to drive it to the shop and have more water leak into the oil and cylinders. So what should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 07:14 PM

Re: Head Gasket, and getting it to the shop?

pull the truck into a better location for loading. then use the bobcat and a budy to PUSH the truck onto the trailer.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 08:13 PM
Mud in my Veins

do you not have a buddy with a truck that could push you along to the shop while you man-handle the steering and brakes? way easier than the process you're going through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 08:31 PM

haha yeah i just read the 2mile thing. you'd be better off to just tow it there in my opinion
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 10:40 PM
Veteran

I have a better idea!!! Leave the truck in the garage and do the work your self! I take it you have a 305 or 350 V8 and I am just guessing but maybe a pre 96(vortec). Anyway, doing a head gasket job is not that big of a deal if thats what it is. Actually on a TBI or carb V8 it is really simple and you could probably do it in 5 hours and that includes clean-up which is the hardest part because you have to clean the heads all up and the deck of the block so the new gasket won't leak. There isn't much to remove on these motors ecessory wise and you can leave the AC compressor hooked up and just un bolt it and move it out of the way. leave the TBI on the intake and just undo the bolts. Undo the exaust manifolds and then pull the valve covers and undo the head bolts. Then you can pop off the head. It is really pretty simple and a Hayes Chevy manual will give you a step by step procedure for doing it.

Lastly this will save you ALOT of money. Count on paying about $40 for the 2 head gaskets and into and exaust gaskets. $40 for new head bolts (not a good idea to use the old ones) and say $30 for new anti-freeze and oil and stuff like that. You don't charge your self labour so thats where you will save your money. A shop will probably charge you $400-500 to do the job....Hey, guess what....seeing you have the exaust manifolds off now is a great time to slap on a set of headers seeing you are saving $300+ on the job.

All in all, its really not that hard and you can do it with a basic set of hand tools and its a great learning experiance for you, just take your time. I just did the head gaskets on my 6.5L diesel this spring and that was the first time I ever did anything more than brakes really. It wasn't hard and it took me 1.5 days but that was because I had a TON of stuff to take off such as the turbo and other things like that. In the end I paid $250 for parts and that was including 3 new lifters and push rods(the reason I had to take the heads off in the first place). The lowest quote I got from a shop just to do the work was $1800. Talk about me saving a ton of money doing it my self.

One other thing I want to say...just hope its a leaky had gasket and not a cracked head or worse yet a block. Pull the heads and look at the gasket and you will know right away if thats what it was. If not look the head over really good.

Good luck...Ryan
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 12:10 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>You also will want to make sure the heads or block didn't get warped. Take the heads in to a machine shop to get checked, or just use a straight edge and a feeler gauge onece they're all cleaned up. If you can slide the feeler gauge between the head and the straight edge, you have warpage. Same thing for the block, but more difficult to bring to the machine shop...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 01:36 AM

Isn't it a general rule that .001" per cylinder of warpage is allowable? So if you have 4 cylinders on that head, you are allowed .004" of warpage? Or something like that.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode