new to the 4x4 scene can you help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 01:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

new to the 4x4 scene can you help

i am trying to buy a 4 wheel drive truck, i saw a 1979 chevy full size blazer. i was looking for a late 80's but this guy only wants $2200 for it, the truck looks in good condition and sounds good, i am going sunday to go for a test drive. if it drives good i want to put some 33 tires on it and a 3inch body lift, how hard is it to find a lift for that truck, are parts hard to find or should i just hold off and wait for a later model. any sugestions would be greatly appretiated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 01:47 PM

Re: new to the 4x4 scene can you help

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>There is tons of aftermarket support for that truck, think about it, that body style ran for almost 20 years (73-91), there were millions upon millions produced and many parts cross over to the 73-87 trucks also. Lifts are cheap and easy to find and you don't have any computer garbage to deal with. If it looks solid I'd go for it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 01:49 PM

Lifts are all over the place for those style of Blazers... but if it were me, I wouldn't waste the money or time putting a body lift on it. You can fit 33's stock and 4" suspension lifts are a dime a dozen. The average price I've seen for a 4" is right around $350 plus if you know how to use a wrench you can put the lift on yourself. I would go with that as opposed to a newer Blazer cause it probably will have the heavier duty axles (Dana 44 front and 12 bolt rear) as opposed to the newer ones (10 bolt front and rear) which last longer with 33s or larger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 01:56 PM

if its a solid truck get it. they are easy as a bike to work on...very very simple. easy to modify as you can get bolt on anythign for them. lifitng is VERY cheap when compared to modern IFS vehicles. adn the SFA is much much stronger off-road...not to mention it is cheaper to fix and more flexible.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 01:56 PM

<font face="comic Sans MS">First of all, I'd check out the body mounts **VERY** good before even pondering a body lift. I'd do the same regardless of year, but especially on an older one. The reason being that a body lift puts more torque/stress/strain on the body mounts. Both the ones on the body and the ones on the frame. [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I'd probably not go with a 3" body lift on any vehicle, 2" would be about my max I'd go. Still get a bit of lift out of it but less stress/strain than higher.

If that's found to be ok then your body lift plans should be able to proceed.

Parts for that year should be very easy to find. All sorts of parts. Body parts *might* be getting a little more scarce but newer models should be able to fit with minor mods too, even later model front clips with some mods...

I like the older ones due to simplicity, everything is considerably easy to do. Plus less in the way of emissions crap. Easier to clean up too (like ditch the stuff that's there)... Just my thoughts on that... [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 05:02 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

That's fair if it is indeed solid.

I almost bought one but it had body problems. It looked good on the outside but underneath it was shot. Behind the rear tires on the floor and beneath the tailgate on the floor were rotted. The body mounts that are right behind where the backseat rider's feet went were crispy and the floor was flakey.

In other words, crawl under there and take a good look. I'd also look to see if anything has been cobbled.

The one I looked at looked really good and sounded even better. However, under careful inspection it had been cobbled pretty bad. The fact that the interior was ragged out didn't help any. For some reason all the K5s I've looked at have had this problem. I'm just warning you, it'd suck to get something that bites you in the rear later.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 10:25 PM

one way to tell if the body has been fix, take your fist with knukles around rust prone areas, Bondo makes a definate different sound as opposed to metal
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 10:28 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Or for the not as talented, bring a magnet. Bondo isn't magnetic...[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 10:53 PM

dang that is OBVIOUS, but ive never thought of that!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 11:56 PM

just saw a thing o nthe local news aboutt hat. body shop man telling the tricks to see if you're getting screwed i nthe tail pipe. he used the magnet. even where bondo is applied well...i.e. metal pulled out and then bondo to smoothe, you'll eb able to tell with a refrigerator magnet...the flat flexible type. it is prety obvios but lots of folks never think of it. the old nuckle will do the trick though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode