frist time rebuilding need help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 10:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

frist time rebuilding need help

some one gave me a 350 today compleat but unassebled ready to be rebuilt I haven't done one befor so I need help frist off all its a 2 bolt main and I would like to get abot 300 hp out of it and keep it smog legal I was thinking of going .30 over and a 400 cranke a edelbrock came and intake but heres where I need help do I go flat or dish pistons, do I open the valves up and if I do what size, what size rods do I use 5" or 6" what size push rods, do I spend more for roller rockers. whar compession ratio do I run to run pump gas give me a list of stuff you guys would do for a long term engin built{ about 6 months doing ot little by little won't hurt the wallet that bad that way}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 10:57 PM

Re: frist time rebuilding need help

theres a dude runing around ehre with a smallblock powered kitchen table. his name is Andreas. he knows quite a bit about building these abd boys. prolly knows all the specs off the top of his swedish head. I"ll bet he'd be willing to help you out some. I'M NOT....cuz i really dont know much about building them as far as specs and the like goes. i just know how to do it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 12:28 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Using a SBC 400 crankshaft in a SBC 350 block will dent even the thickest of wallets. My personal opinion, build the 350 with stock (low cost) 17cc dish piston, stock 5.7 rods. I have a personal like for Competition Cams, but I've been pleased with Delta reground RV cams (ultra low cost). Stock SBC 350 stuff is the least expensive route to go. All in all a SBC 350 bottom end bored / honed and assembled (stock parts) should be about $385 or so.

Now as for the heads, I'm very pleased with the L31 Vortec heads being sold by GM. Using L31 Vortec heads and stock 17cc dish pistons will have a compression ratio of about 9:1 which usually is OK with 87 ocatne unleaded gas. All in all expect to spend $700 going with brand new set of Vortec heads, brand new Edelbrock dual plane intake manifold for Vortec head, new intake manifold bolts, new self aligning rocker arms, new Vortec intake manifold gaskets and some other odds and ends (like center bolt valve covers).

dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 04:12 AM
Veteran

Rule #1 when rebuilding an engine. Always listen to Dave ![img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If you´re willing to spend a few $$ I´d buy the mildest Comp Cams Xtreme Energy rollercam and retrofit rollerlifters. They are available as kits and Comp Cams recommends what valvesprings & pushrods to use, so it´s a no-brainer[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Along with Vortec heads, a 600 cfm carb and headers you´ll have a very good truck engine producing over 400 ft.lbs from idle to 4500 rpm, along with some 350 flywheel hp´s @ 5000 rpm. The bad side is retrofit roller stuff cost a few bucks.

I´d also buy ARP bolts for main caps and rods.

Check Summit for prices.

As far as intake & exhaust valvesizes you´re not really on that "level" if 300 hp is your goal. Hmm...that sounded a bit harsh [img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. What I mean is, with the good flow of Vortec heads and the use of headers, flow will not ever be a problem. Atleast not with a mild cam and idle-5000 rpm operating range. If I had Vortec heads I wouldn´t worry about stock sized valves until I was aiming for 500+ horsepower....and if that was my goal I wouldn´t have bought Vortecs in the first place. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Andreas
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2002, 01:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Has anyone had rocker arm oiling problems when using roller lifters? My brother n law had them in a 550hp small block ford (Yeah,yeah I know, 4 letter word!) and apparently the roller lifters reduce the amount of oil to the top end. He was also using solid lifters. Maybe hydraulic rollers are alright?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode