What do I torque lug nuts to? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 05:29 PM
bigwishlist

What do I torque lug nuts to?

What do I torque the lug nuts to? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 06:08 PM

Re: What do I torque lug nuts to?

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>80 lb-ft should do it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 07:51 PM
bigwishlist

Thank you muchly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 08:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

that should do it... i never really use a torque wrench, just do the feel test or normaly i do it as hard as i can tighten it in the cross pattern so i don't warp a rotar... how hard it was to take off u make them that tight...normal a shop puts them on for me then i will rotate them
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 09:45 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>Proper torque on your lugnuts is pretty important, going by feel is generally not recommended...

Has anyone ever tried those color coded lugnut sockets for impact wrenches? They come in a little kit, each color flexes at a certain torque so you can torque your lugs with an impact. I've always wanted to get some but was wondering if they worked well.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 10:08 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Beats me. Since the ripe old age of twelve I've been putting wheels on as tight as I can get them with a four-way. I figure if I can put them on with it I can take them off with it in an emergency with that same tool.

I've never lost a wheel or had a lugnut come loose. I check them after a couple hundred miles though.

Whatever you do, don't use an impact. I've seen more damage done with an impact to a wheel than imaginable. That's anything from a bent wheel or warped rotor to seeing your tire pass you by on the road.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 10:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>I worked at a Sear's auto center for a year and I used those torque sticks every day. Ours were just extensions that went between the gun and the socket, I never had a loose wheel or bent rotor. They work good

Also, 80 ft/lbs might be a little light for trucks. I work at a Dodge dealer now, and the books say 100 for the trucks.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2002, 04:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have seen bad things with the impact wrench also, my friend going down a big hill after he just got new tires and wheels, and a big old 38x15 wheels and tires fall off at 35mph. that thing went down the road soo fast, but it had that wicked bounce to it also.... the shop were my friend had them put on did not have some nice people coming back to say "hi" later on we found out they only hand tightened them
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 11:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I go 100 ft-lb on the S-10 and the 1/2 ton. The 3/4 ton gets the lugs tightened to about 115-120 ft-lb. That's just me, though.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2002, 05:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Got torque sticks at work, they are sprung steel and recoil after 100 ft-lbs. They work great and the ends have a hexagonal sockey on them already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode