Header Advice? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Header Advice?

Anyone have any preferences for headers? I have a 76 Blazer that is stock (so far). I just put in a 325hp 350 in and am shopping for headers. I am pretty tapped out after the new engine, so money is an issue (when isn't it?!!) but I don't want to buy something that is only going to last a year. I am also looking for something that won't cause access problems for plugs, wires, starters, ect. Anyone have any luck with one brand over another? I am pretty interested in a tri-y design for torque bennies. I appreciate any input!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 08:19 PM
Journeyman

Re: Header Advice?

I have a set of Flowtech afterburner headers on my 89 chevy pick up and on my 79 camaro. I like them a lot. They arent a true Tri y, look at the picture of them and you will see why I mean. You can get them for 135 bucks out of jegs. Try there web site Jegs.com.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 09:29 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

This winter I got a set of Hooker Competition headers. I like them. And at $145 they were a deal. It's kind of funny because they say "paint is applied to keep from corroding only" yet my paint hasn't burned off.

They did require me to change a position of a sensor and remove the bump brace for the front axle.

I'd buy them again if I had the chance. As for the Hooker pipe kit I bought, I wouldn't buy that again.

-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 10:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't get flow tech headers I had a set on my 72 3/4 ton just rear wheel drive and they didn't fit very well I had to trim the frame a little and was always burning up spark plug boots.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 07:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a set of Flowtech on my truck. Not the afterburners, just the plain old Flowtechs. They Suck!!!!
I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I have Hooker Super Comps on my car and I love them. I have also heard good things about hedman headers as well.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 09:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was looking at the flowtech afterburners. I will be shopping for headers in about a month now. What I read about them in their adds look good but now I don't know. Sounds like they may not be the best if they have problems. From summit they sell for $150 plain or $250 ceramic coated. Is there anythingthing to gain for the extra $100? I may go with hookers too. A friends has had his for about 4 years and they are just now starting to leak and tick.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 10:47 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>I have heddmans, they aren't too bad. They do interfere a little bit with the spring shackles, and a little on the driveshaft too when the truck is really flexed up, but in general they fit well, plus they were cheap. Eventually I'll be getting some Thorleys to replace them, or possibly have Sanderson build me some custom ones that fit perfect.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 01:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

a friend has some dynomax and they had to rework the motor monts to fit them in his 76. He had one crack and they warrantied and replaced teh cracked one and gave him a brand new set too. I have beent rying to get him to sell me his extra new set for about 2 yars now but he won't. Darn it all!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 03:31 PM

I've got the ones that Summit carries, I think they're Hedmans. They been on my 78 K5 for about a year now and my only problem is they cooked off some of the paint pretty quickly but no leaks and no rust (yet[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]). I figured that for $99, it was worth it. I didn't have any problems with fitment on mine other than having to rerun my starter wire cause they tucked in closer to the block than my old ones did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode