engine test/run stand thing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

engine test/run stand thing

OK, I've been cleaning out and rewiring some stuff in the basement and my mind was wandering. OK, it always wanders.

But anyway, I was thinking about a run/test stand and how to go about building one. I was thinking about one because I'm a poor college student (poor enough where it looks like I don't have enough money to go to college this summer) so as I build a motor it'll be in pieces as I get the money. And I think a run/test stand will be the way to go since after I put it together I have to save my money to buy something to put it in. Besides, it'd be cool to break the motor in on the stand.

Have any of you built such a thing? Do any of you have any sources of information on such a thing?

I have some ideas but anyway..

I found one on eBay:
<a target="_blank" href=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=1820989392&amp;r=0 &amp;t=0>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=1820989392&amp;r=0 &amp;t=0</a>

but it doesn't seem so great. For one thing, I need some sort of mufflers because my neighbors get upset at me for my quad, they wouldn't like a SBC running at three grand with open headers with some piping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: engine test/run stand thing

I'll take that as a "no".

At least I got a clean basement out of it.

-Brian
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 09:51 AM

Well ok then. We built one for our auto engine overhaul class. Real simple. Built a base frame out of 1-1/4" box steel, then legs up in the front with a 1/8" steel plate on top that had rpm/temp/oil pressure/voltage gauges and a ignition and start button. Then on the other end, we built some legs up to hold a medium sized radiator and put a 14" electric fan on it and a battery holder torwards the bottom. Do you want to build the stand for just your engine or do you want to mount other engines in the future?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

When I was in highschool they had one for testing motors. It was made out of 1.5 box steel. It was fine at low r's but when you found out what a inline four sounds like at four grand it made you wonder because the stand was flexing pretty good.

Ideally this thing would be beefy enough not to flex and so that I could put the stand in the back of a pickup with a motor on it and not worry about the motor putting a dent in the floor of my bed when the stand broke after hitting a pothole.

I'd like it to work with any small chevy (no BOP [censored]--too expensive to rebuild those things) and have adjustable motor mounts.

I was just wondering if anyone had some experiences with them and things to avoid. I've seen ones with the radiator at ground level and I was wondering if anyone had experiences with such things (I think this would be ideal because then you could get to the front of the motor easily and change cams). Controls and placement of things like the fuel tank and the battery. Safety features. Exhaust solution.

It'll double as an engine stand. It needs to be easy enough to put a motor on so that a friend and I can grab on to a block and stick it on there without a chainfall. It need not be able to break down but it needs to be relatively small and compact.

Since I'm an electrical engineer with not enough time on his hands and should be doing homework instead I've already got plans to make a system that varies throttle over time (for breaking in bearings). I can almost already hear the neighbors complaining about the noise.. haha.

Thank you for your reply
-Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode