14 bolt/Dana 60 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 06:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

14 bolt/Dana 60

Can anyone help me out on the years I want to look for.

I am in the market for a 14 bolt or Dana 60 for the rear axle on my truck.

I went to a U-Pull It yard today, and they had quite a few of both.

What I need to know would be the best years for both.

I am leaning toward the 14 bolt as a Detroit Locker is a relatively easy install.

Any other information that you think would be relavant would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 06:50 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: 14 bolt/Dana 60

Can't help you. But I will put this back on top. I would like to know where you are. That way I can go to the same u-pull it yard and get me some axles.[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Laters, Ryan
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 07:33 PM

Well, assuming that you have a solid front axle truck, and that it is either a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck, any of the 73-87 axles should fit. All of the axles were pretty much the same in those years (dimension wise). I remember that a few days ago there was a post about the differences between 3/4 and 1 ton axles. I believe that it said duellys have a different spring perch distances than other axles. Other than that your good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 10:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

'73

I know that those axles will bolt in. What I am wondering, is which years were better. Higher spline count, thicker wall tubes, better castings, etc..... I had a Dana 60 out of a 73 that I sold, when I thought this project was terminated (luckily back on track). It only had 17 spline axles, and the gears were worn paper thin. Spring perches I can move without any problem. Since the price is the same for any rear axle at this U-Pull-It, I want to get the most for my money.

Thanks again for any help.

Mike
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 10:20 PM

Ohhhhhhh, well in that case i cant be of much help [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]. I figured that a Dana 60 and a 14 bolt were the same reguardless of the year, but hey i dont really know[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. I'd be interested to find out though if these axles were made in different configs and if so which are better.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 02:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Most of the newer Dana 60 rear full-floaters are probably going to have the 1.31", 30-spline axles and the 9.5" (or so) ring gear. The 14 bolt full-floater will have bigger axle shafts (I can't think right now, but I believe they are 1.5" dia.) and the 10.5" ring gear. The 14 will obviously be stronger but a full-floater Dana 60 with the 30-spline shafts should hold up reasonably well unless you are running lots of power and big tires. The 14 bolt tends to be a little cheaper for parts and much easier to work on, but the Dana 60 gives you more ground clearance and a bigger selection of gear ratios available.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 10:04 PM
Can't Get Enough

In 88 or 89 GM started using larger bearings in the 14FF. Can't help with the 60.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2002, 08:30 PM
Journeyman

The 14 bolt is a bit bigger than the 60. Depending on what you are using the truck for both should be fine. If you have the choice, and at the same price I would go with the 14 bolt.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 07:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Thanks everyone. I found a 4.10 ration 14bolt yesterday. It is the good one, and unless it rains today, I should have it home tonight.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2002, 10:31 AM
Can't Get Enough

Again I ask, where are you? I can't find any 1 ton axles around here that the places don't want $$$$ for.

Laters, Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode