Chevy Suspension - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 02:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Chevy Suspension

I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1 and Allison Tranny and I was considering a 6 inch suspension lift. I drive this truck over 500 miles a week in town driving for work and I was wondering what this kind of lift would do to the smoothness of my ride. I also tow an enclosed trailer everyday as well. Weekends I tow a flat bed trailer with a Class 5 Baja Bug and Raptor as the cargo. Chevy says that the lift if I decide to do this will void the suspension portion of my extended warranty which causes me a little concern as well. Please let me know what you all think of this idea or should I wait until I can afford a second or older model truck and put the suspension on that truck. I am looking at going with Fab Tech if any one has thoughts on that also. The main concern is the ride quality with this kind of lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 06:48 PM

Re: Chevy Suspension

Don't buy a Procomp lift, and ask this question in the Chevy IFS Forum...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 10:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is your truck 4x4? If not, be careful with Fabtech because you'll be eating lower ball joints like mad. I have a 2000 F-150 and am already in need of a second set. It just isn't Fords either. When I went in the last time a suburban and newer Dodge was in for the same problem. Any lift not done by Chevy will void suspension warranty. My brother has a 2001 Superduty 4x4 and luckly found a Ford dealer to install his lift(6" all suspension) and everything is now under Ford warranty. So I suggest you find a Chevy dealer to do the same!! Does anybody know of a GOOD set of aftermarket lower ball joints???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 11:53 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Like was mentioned, you could have a dealership do the install, but I'm sure it will cost you plenty. Another thing to think abouut is this; If it voids the suspension warr. one thing to know is that most suspension lifts (if not all) come with a warranty as well. So, if you did have a problem that was related to the suspension, due to the lift, the lift manufact. should correct it. Anyway, do your homework before you buy.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 12:23 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>OK, this whole warranty voiding thing always gets me. By law, it is the dealers responsibility to prove that a modification did cause the problem it is not your responsibility to prove that a modification wasn't the cause of a problem. In practice this is hard to deal with because the dealer will just say too bad, but legally they have to prove that a mod caused the failure. If you were ever to persue a claim the law would be on your side. If after you install the lift you can get a dealer to sign off saying that it was properly installed then your warranty should still be good. Most reputable lift manufacturers (read: not Pro-Comp) go to great lengths to ensure that their products will not cause problems with your truck, but that is only if you follow their guidlines, such as not cranking the crap out of the torsion bars to get an extra inch out of it...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 01:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I didn't know Pro-Comp was that bad??. Where My bro got his lift done at in Irvine, Ca there was a 4wheel parts store next to the Ford service center. They (Ford) got the parts from 4wheel parts which was a Pro Comp lift kit?? Is there certain things my brother should watch out for since going with pro comp?? Remember he has SFA on a F-250? Or should he just be lucky it's all covered. (sorry Mango, didn't mean to sway away from your topic [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img])
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2002, 01:43 AM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>They just tend to be not quite as durable as some others out there. I guess I shouldn't talk bad about them, lots of people run them with no problems, but then, they also seem to have more problems than alot of other kits out there, so there ya go... The IFS lifts tend to have more issues than the SFAs, not a whole lot to go wrong on SFA, really...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 09:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do yourself a favor and don't lift your truck. I'm a dumbass for lifting my '96 3/4ton. It rids like crap, handles like crap and is crap because of the lift. I've got a superlift kit, nothing wrong with the lift kit, I just think it's a waste of time to do a suspension lift on a chevy. If I would do it again I would do a 3" body lift with 33's if anything at all. Putting a suspension lift on a chevy ifs is like cheating on a wife. You can get away with it and even enjoy it for awhile but eventually you'll wish you never had and it will bite you in the [censored] in the long run.

This is my opinion. One other thing, I've tried trading it in and most dealers don't even want to consider taking it off of my hands because of the lift. Nothing but headaches.

Wes.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 09:14 AM

Uh, theoretically it shouldn't ride any different[img]images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. I mean, all you did was lower the front down 6". Unless you cranked the heck out of the tbars to get an extra inch of lift. If you kept the stock t-bar preload then it should right exactly the same.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2002, 10:18 AM
Can't Get Enough

Mine still rides pretty much the same. The tires are a little more bouncey than the stockers. About 6-7k on the lift and tires and the tires are not wearing uneven yet.

Laters, Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode