'81 with a 327? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

\'81 with a 327?

A gf is looking to buy this truck. It's an 81 K10, new glass, reupholtered seats, new headliner and carpet. The frame and fender wells are coated with something (assuming POR-15 or something similar). The only thing is the motor. A rebuilt 327? I'm sure it'll have enough power for what she's gonna use it for, but I'm not sure it's worth what he wants for it. $3500. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 02:04 PM

Re: \'81 with a 327?

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>My truck had a 327 in it when I got it. Aside from the overheating, non-working choke, 80 psi of compression in the #1 cylinder and mismatched heads, it was a great motor! I used it for a full weeks before replacing it...

The 327 should be OK, it sure will be better than a 305. The only problem I foresee is that technically it's going to be illegal in CA, since you can't have an engine with a build date earlier than the model year of the vehicle out here. That being said, I passed with the 327 in mine because most smog stations don't check the engine numbers.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Good point about the smog thing. I'll pass that along.

What about the price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 02:26 PM

<font face="Times New Roman">
<font color=green>If there's no rust and everything works I'd say it's a decent deal. Mine was a basketcase when I got it so I'm not real keen on the values of the complete trucks...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 04:53 PM
Veteran

If the 327 is properly rebuilt itīs a good engine. Revs more freely than a 305 &amp; 350 due to the shorter stroke (3.25" vs. 3.48"). Itīs definetly worth more than a 305.

/Antenna boy.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, Brat!

Antenna boy??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... you're too funny[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 07:26 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

If it's not a bondo-bucket it's a deal (at least for around here it is).

327s are great motors. They're indestructable. They have "turn me into a 400 horsepower monster and run me at six grand all day" written all over them.

However, they're supposed to be in 60s musclecars, not in 80s trucks. It's almost a shame to see one in a truck.

-Brian
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

I had another thought on the smog dealio... isn't the seller supposed to get it all smogged and tagged and legal-like when they sell it?

If so, then she doesn't have anything to worry about for another 2 years, right?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 08:40 PM

As an ex- Calif smog tech, you are correct. The seller is responsible for the smog certificate that is only valid for 30 days. The cert is necessary for DMV title change. Now comes the big problem... as we all know, there are certain individuals out there, for a substatial amount of money, that will pass any vehicle. This could be a problem if the seller gives up an unlawful cert, and youre stuck with the repair bills in two years.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 10:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Seeing how I live in Washington State were the SMOG laws are so very different from California's SMOG laws, I'm wondering about the engine thing. If I'm reading the posts correctly, the 1981 truck, according to California SMOG law, can only have an engine that is not older than 1981. So now I wonder, would it be legal to install a new 350 HP 350 cubic inch ZZ4 GMPP motor in a vehicle subject to California SMOG laws?

I have it very nice here in Washington State, no underhood inspections, just a tail pipe emission test (HC's CO's ect.) run on a chassis dynometer, and a gas cap pressurized vapor test. It's nice to put whatever you want under the hood, but in Washington State your stuck with the emission limits of the Make, Model, and Year of your vehicle. Funny thing though, most vehicles after 1981 have about the same emission limits. So if your vehicle is missing emission equipment like a catalytic converter, or has headers and dual exhaust and can pass the emission test limits for that Make/Model/Year, you can have whatever engine your heart desires. Vehicles 1975 and older don't even need to be tested.

By the way, a similar early 80's GMC Stepside 4X4 sold for $2900 here. Looked real nice, and ran like extremely well for a 305 pickup with 135,000 miles on it.
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode