goddam broken truck...I'm pissed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

goddam broken truck...I\'m pissed

well got god news and bad news today. good news...truck was fixed. bad news. when pops went to go drive it...the T-case wouldnt come out of 4lo.
anyways, I'm in it for $724 right now with the clutch replace. the pilot bearing was all siezed up and the rollers were behind the finger thingies hence the lack of engagement
any ideas why an NP 241 wouldnt coem out of 4lo. I"m hoping for a simple linkage problem.
it was completely rebuilt 20,000 miels ago the only thing retained was the case itself and the planetary gears...everything else on the inside was replaced.
looks like i know what my sumemr paychecks are going to be paying for. and it sure as sh!t doesnt havea label that says "151 proof" on it. <sigh> oh well. if it ahs moving parts....it'll break
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 10:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: goddam broken truck...I\'m pissed

sorry man. Sh*t like that sux. Im sorta having similar probblems. I spent all last week putting the lift on the blazer. Every night. After work. Till like 1am. busted my balls doing this. And saturday when i finish up, i roll that baby out of the garage, looking sweet, looking fine, roll her 1/4 mile down the road, and THE 10BOLT PINION GEAR TAKES A SH*T AND LOSES 3 TEETH, PUNCHING A HOLE IN THE HOSING IN THE PROCESS!!!!!!! So now she's sitting in the driveway. Waiting for the spare 10 bolt to be installed.[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

OOOOOoo OOOOOOOOooo OOOOOOooo...i had 10bolt problems too. i am NOT a big beliewver i nthem. i mean with the failure rate they have...should they be limited to the baby trucks and cars and stuff. nothign weaker than a 14SF in big trucks. thats what i think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 10:45 AM

Peacock,

I would think the shifter problem would be the tranny shops problem... aren't they supposed to do a road test? Also last time I checked they had to yank the T-case (and thus disconnect the linkage) in order to swap the clutch. If it were me, I would throw the ball back in their court (and at one of them in the process...[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img])
Good luck with your truck...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 11:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah, unfortunately, i have no $$$ for a 14ff, and i have a spare 10b.....so that kinda made up the mind for me.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

yeah I"m hoping it is just a linkage. this is a good shop and the only one that I'll take my truck to that doesnt have "Peacock" painted o nthe wall. i dated the owner/operator's daughter fora while back in the day. he'sa great guy and has always been straight up with me. I"ll see what he has to say though.
They did do a road test....but enver got it up to highways speed so they didnt notice that it was in low range apparently....since i have the posi-lock it would have felt like 2WD with the front not engaged. seems like one would be able to tell that ya ahd to row through the gears pretty quick, but they might ahev had the shop slackie testing it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 12:09 PM
72dreamer

thou shall not use the Lord's name in vain...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

goddam broken truck
could be translated from "peacok-ese" to modern english as "go damn my broken truck" [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 03:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldn't have too much confidence in the shop if they took the truck for a test drive and couldn't tell it was in 4 low......plus why did they have it in 4 low to begin with????

There should be no question that the shop should take care of this problem since they had the t-case and linkage out of the truck.

Is the shifter on the floor showing it to be in 4 low? One quick check to see what is wrong is to get underneath the vehicle and disconnect the shift linkage from the t-case, and then move the lever arm on the side of the t-case into different positions. This should tell whether it is the actual t-case or the linkage.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

yeah, i iwsh i could be bit more involved with the procedure, but i live exactly 72 miles from home, and my truck is 63 miles from me. the old man is taking care of it while i make an effort to get this damn degree. I'm quite confident that it will be nothing major. and if it is soemthing trhat todd (mechanic) is responsible for...he'll fix it free of charge. he's not out to dick me over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode