Frame Brace Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 03:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Frame Brace Questions

I've got a question about the frame brace for our trucks. I know the frame is prone to cracking, but is this under heavy off-roading or for street queens? Mine is neither. I work with my truck on the farm and I drive it on the street too. No heavy off-roading. Usually just in first or second gear idling along if off road. Do I need a frame brace for what I do? I have a 6" lift with 35" BFG Mud Terrains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 03:18 PM

Re: Frame Brace Questions

Hey Jeff,

The frame brace is recommended if you're doing any sort of offroading and also if you're running oversized tires. With your setup, I would think it would be a good idea to get one. They are very easy to install and cheap insurance. If you're going to get the bolt-in brace, I would recommend getting weld-in kit as well.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 04:26 PM

My truck has never been a real *heavy* offroader but years of oversized tires and normal everday street use caused the frame to crack. I have installed both the the bolt in ORD brace and a weld in brace. If anything the bolt in brace will provide a noticeably better steering feel and tighten up the handling a bit. I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

were's the best place to order a frame brace from?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2002, 11:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

www.offroaddesign.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 08:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks a bunch guys, I guess I'd better be getting on the phone and getting them. I guess I'll get the weld in and the bolt in just to be safe. Don't want to be driving down the road at 60mph and have that thing come apart on me. Could be a disaster waiting to happen.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 10:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

my frame is already cracked and has been welded up and steel plates have been welded over the crackes should i get the weld in brace as well or would i be fine with just the frame brace.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 12:40 PM

I would think that if you've already got some reinforcement there, you'd probably be ok with just the bolt-in. Besides that, you would probably have to grind away some of your steel plate to get this to fit... here's a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 741124-GU39002.jpg (17.6 KB, 7 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 06:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

have had this damn problem happen twice now and looking to hindsight i wish i would have gone with the insurance of the braces. i figured it happened once what is the chance it would happen again. first time she fell off in a parking lot. no problem except for the dork with the big truck that cant steer the thing out of the way of the rest of the traffic he is blocking. the second time was a little worse. going around a curve and viola, doing about 40 and she goes staight out into a field where a they are building a house. down goes the real estate sign and i locked it up before i hit a pile of roof trusses. what a pain in the [censored]. definately get the braces before you end up like me, looking like a dork and running down signs.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2002, 10:27 AM

<font face="Times New Roman"
<font color=green>TSB is right, if nothing else avoid the dork factor... Nothing worse that looking like a horse's [censored] because of something that you could have fixed in a few hours in the first place. I remember an incident involving a battery held down with duct tape because the owner was too lazy to jsut put in the correct hold down... Now he owns a nice burnt out shell of a blazer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode