99-02 Front Leveling Kit - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2001, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

99-02 Front Leveling Kit

I recently purchased a new 2002 Silverado 4WD and don't like how the front end sits a lot lower than the rear. I got to looking around and saw that Hill's Off Road has a 2" kit which just consists of T-bars with a different index cam for $150. I was wondering if anyone has installed this kit. All that I am looking to do it level out the front end and cranking the factory t-bars doesn't seem to help any. Also, is there any other companies, like Rancho, that also have this kit?
Here is a link to the site. The kit is in the middle of the main page and there's also a link to the FAQ section: http://www.hilloffroad.com/
Thanks for the help.

'02 Silverado ext. cab, 4.8L 4WD
For Sale: '92 Z71 3" PA & 33" TSL's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 09:08 AM
diggin_pig

Re: 99-02 Front Leveling Kit

Will one of these 'leveling' kits fit on a 1500HD? One of my firefighters has a 2001 model and would like to install 285's. He doesn't want a body lift and a full-on suspension lift would be to extreme for such a small tire.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 11:20 AM

DON'T DO IT!!!!! i've seen pics of CV joints at very ugly angles. hill says that their kit is less damaging than cranking the tbars - that's a flat lie. they say you don't crank the tbar bolt - that's true, but look what it does to the tbars themselves [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] consider how many miles, and how hard their "kits" have been used in comparison to tbar cranking....hmmm...not long and not hard, since these are made for new trucks that no one really hurts like they would an older truck, there is supposedly less potential damage to front end parts ...............pppppppppppppppppfffffffffftttttt. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

ahh, i'm probably confusing you...just don't do it. $150 is not worth a tbar crank on 'roids.

The Pair

Crank 'em 1" - measure first!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 01:06 PM
diggin_pig

Thaks, Shorts, will take your advice, and will pass it to my firefighter.

Please forgive my ignorance as I am new to the IFS world. Out of curiosity, what is the difference between running one of these kits which changes how the end of the torsion bar is positioned within the cam relative to the horizontal (or vertical) and cranking the torsion bars which changes the position of the torsion bar in relation to the horizontal (or vertical depending on the view). Said another way, using the re-indexed cam, a torsion bar with a mark placed vertically pointing to the 12 o'clock position will now be indexed to the 2 o'clock position. But, the cam adjusting face is still at the 9 o'clock position. Cranking the torsion bars to move the mark to the same 2 o'clock position would change the cam adjusting face to the 11 o'clock position. Shouldn't it have the same affect on the torsion bar, the CV joints, the ball joints, ride quality, etc.?

I am a solid axle kind of guy - you want me to build up a Dodge or GM or Ford or Toyota or Jeep? No problem! Play with IFS? Problem - it's all new to me. Still trying to get a grasp of how they tick and what works and what doesn't.

Thanks for you assistance.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2002, 01:25 PM

You say your ignorant on IFS, and yet you were able to see the flaw to their logic with their system.
Whether you just crank in the t-bar bolts or buy their camkit you are essentially doing the exact same thing to the front end.
Their whole sales pitch is "With their kit you don't over crank the T-bolts, which is bad"
but if you overcranck the t-bars, the damage happens to the front end, and their system does the exact same thing to the front end [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Save the $150.
And it is safe to turn the t-bar bolts SOME just don't go crazy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2002, 07:29 PM
Mud in my Veins

Diggin, 285's will fit on your buddy's truck without rubbing as long as he puts them on the stock 16x7 rims.

I know on the 99 and up style trucks the torsion bars are no longer interchangeable by just taking out the stock ones and putting in the new ones. You have to use the keys the new to you bars had. Makes everything slightly more annoying.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] That said, my truck is now back to the stock IFS configuration, and with the uprated Rancho torsion bars and 1" of torsion bar cranking it rides quite nicely and seems to actually have some travel up front.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] So uprated front torsion bars and a stock suspension is one way to crank your front (no higher than 1.5" of course) and not have it ride like a brick truck.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Chrome sucks
285/75R16, 255/85R16, & 305/70R16 fit on a stock GM IFS fullsize 4x4 truck when on the stock 16x7 rims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode