new idea - was Convertible suburban - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 08:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

new idea - was Convertible suburban

The one reply I received gave me a new vision for the barn.

Cut the sheet metal off the roof. (where it is ribbed only)
Leave the roof beams in place and make a snap on Canvas/vinyl top for it.

Modify the side windows and barn door windows so that they can be removed easily.
Perhaps I can trim the rubber moulding on the bottom and sides so that the windows will slide out easily. I would need to mount some kind of strapping to hold them in place.

So with the top off, and rear windows out, and 4 front windows down, it would be pretty breezy in there!

May the the way to go without having to chop off any posts and alter the structural integrity of the truck.

I also had a thought about removing the bench seats and going with buckets. Including the front 2, I think I can get a total of 3 down each side. That would look neat, and give me access to the screaming kids.
I guess I really need a bus to cart my 5 boys around.

Thanks for the feedback

1989 Suburban, stock, 285/16 Bridgestone Dueler MT, Bushwhacker cutout flares, love the mud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 02:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: new idea - was Convertible suburban

Why don't you just get an early Blazer? The whole top comes off and seals up well for the winter or bad weather.

Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 03:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Based on your original post, I am hunting a 'Burban to chop. I really like your idea. They are not very popular around here so I should get one CHEAP enough to attack w/ a torch. My Blazer is well nigh perfect for my use but the extra doors will be appreciated as the little munsters get older. Captain's chairs from a Chevy conversion van would be a nice touch.

'79 K5 Blazer w/350 Goodwrench crate, 33x12.5 Dick Cepek MC-IIs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 03:14 PM

barn,
if you need any details of the convertable conversion i did (cut roof with vynil top...just post here and I'll either e-mail it to you otr make a long post and let you know exactly how i did it.
---Peacock

<font color=red>96 Z-71 EXTcab, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train </font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 04:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have any of yall ever seen pictures of the Ford Centurion (sp?)? If not, I think it was a F-250 or F-350 Crew Cab single rear wheel with the bed grafted to the body, and the bed was shortened to fit a Bronco rear cab cover. It looked like a 4 door Bronco. If you can manage to cut the rear and fit a Blazer hard top, or a CanBack canvas top go for it. If it works it should turn out nice, and make sure to take lots of pictures for us.

-Adam

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2001, 07:23 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Centurion

Centurion is the conversion company that grafted Bronco beds/tops onto 4-door pickup cabs. They did many variations, including dually 4-door Powerstroke Broncos, extended cab 4-door pickups, and conversions of other brands of trucks.

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
<font color=red>Don't buy it... Build it.</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode