Diesel smoke question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 04:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Diesel smoke question

I have a 95 Chevy 6.5 TD and lately it has begun to have a lot of black smoke coming out of the tailpipe when you give it gas and even some when idling. Is there anything I can do to stop this? or at least make it less? Thanks for some help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 04:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Diesel smoke question

I had an old benz once, the smoke was my que to change the air cleaner.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's, Some Greys
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 04:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Think it is runnin a little rich? how many miles? INjectors a little funny mabye? They are machined to within 1/1000th an inch in most cases, some very small particles could mabye hold one open or stop it from sealing off. It might not be really anything to worry about. My dad has the same truck and it smokes, stinks, and everyhting, but still runns and will pull pretty good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 04:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It does have 148,000 miles on it. I don't know too much about how it all works but if it is running a little rich, then I'm supposing that the solution would be to rebuild the motor?? It has been idling just a little rough lately also. Would it be worth getting it rebuilt and does anyone have any idea how much it might cost?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 05:00 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Try the easy stuff first (air filter, check for restrictions in the air box hoses, etc).... Diesels will run wacky if they don't get all the air they need... Moreso than with a gas engine...</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 05:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You shouldn't have to rebuild yet. Most GM diesels seem to work quite well for around 300,000. Replace your fuel and air filters to start with. I've had brand new fuel filters do that to me and a second one cured the problem. It's not too unusaul to get black smoke when you hit the accelerator. Another option is to check out The Diesel Page. Lot's o' good info there for GM diesel owners.

'83 Blue 'Burban K10, 4" with 35's, 6.5l oilburner, 700R4/208
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 05:14 AM
RolngThun

Check your transfer pump for operation. I have seen exessive smoke, running rough,harder to start caused by the lift pump not working.
There is also a GM S.B. about metal contamination in the fuel supply system on that year truck.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 05:35 AM
RolngThun

Here is the TSB.

Attached Files
File Type: 5tdtsb 18-532561-6.5tdtsb (33.5 KB, 1 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 10:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the advice....I removed the air filter today and it was quite dirty, so I went down to auto zone and ordered a K&N filter which should be in tomorrow and I'm hoping this helps some. I'll probably go have the fuel filter replaced also, does anyone know how much these cost? Any other advice on decreasing smoke would be appreciated. thanks.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 02:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dirty injectors will cause that problem too. Go get you a bottle of diesel fuel conditioner/injector cleaner. Run it through a couple of tanks of fuel and see if that dont help.

Real cowboys stay in the saddle longer[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode