Engine Problem / Noise - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 08:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Engine Problem / Noise

Hello all, any help would be much apreciated. I own a 86' Chevy K5 Blazer with a 305 V8. The engine as developed a ratle sound as soon as I hit the gas, this happends off the line as well as if I try to pass. It sounds like its coming from the mid to top of the engine, but not to sure. I am hoping that this is common and may just need an ajustment. The sound goes away once I ease off the gas.
If any one may know off hand what this may be, please let me know. I am thinging Valve ajustment, maybe main bearing. Its between a ratle and a knock, but more a ratle. Thanks again steve. my e-mail is [email protected] Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-530534-IMAGE017.jpg (61.9 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 08:13 AM
Kendog454

Re: Engine Problem / Noise

When did this noise start? I'm sorry if this is not what you want to hear, but I redlined my old tired 350 one day, and the day after I heard the same noise you describe; the day after that it was a really erratic shearing and rattling noise: spun crank bearing.

"Around here, there are only two seasons in a year: Hunting Season, and waiting for Hunting Season."

1985 Scottsdale 3/4 ton
14 Bolt SF, SM465/208, 355 CHEVY
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 11:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Try a different grade of gas. My Blazer does that whenever i get cheap gas. Sounds like spark knock to me. Could be that it is running a little too lean.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 11:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Get a piece of heater hose and listen through it at various points maybe you can hear where exactly it is coming from.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's, Some Greys
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the reply, What exactly is Spark Knock. Also I have been using the same full since the truck was new. So I guess I am leaning more to Mixture problems. Should I be playing with the Idle mixture, or is it something else. Please let me know what you think. Thanks again, steve

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 01:00 PM

Sorry, redbig, but it sounds like your engine is totally shot. You need to order a new 350 crate engine post haste! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Kevin
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 01:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks but no thanks Canada Boy. Thanks everyone for your helping out, I am VERY happy to say that it was a Mixture problem, and there is no more knocking. Its great when great minds put there heads together. Thanks again Steve
PS Canada SUCKS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode