Axle swap and locker questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 12:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Axle swap and locker questions

Hello to all!
my question is i have 3 axles i can afford to shoehorn into my '77 KS after months of digging in the trash and recycling the cans i found =o) I found a Dana 60 rear out of a 90 Dodge Ram 250 (or so the guy tells me) a wrecking yard can sell me a Corp. 14 bolt (10.5") and i found a dana 60 front for a semi-decent price. I like the idea of dircet swap in on the GM 14 bolt but also like the idea of dual 60's with ARB's in them. THe idea of a detriot locker scares me =o(
SO...after much babbling:
1)Is the Dana 60 rear out of the Dodge going to cost alot to have pieces fabed for it? (e-brake cables, move brackets, etc.)
2)Is a detroit rear locker hard to drive on the street?
3)Does anyone have experiences/stories of cross-make swaps? (Especailly dodge to chevy)
Please keep in mind this isn't my daily driver...it's my ONLY driver =o)
thanks in advance for any help,
Zakk
p.s. SP? (as always)

"When the going gets weird...the Weird turn pro."
-HST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 08:10 AM
Kendog454

Re: Axle swap and locker questions

I would go with the 14 bolt, just to keep the CHEVY stuff together Detroit lockers provide for a crappy ride on the street......the ARB Air Locker is the way to go. It is kind of expensive but it has the added luxury of being able to flip it on and off with a switch.

"Around here, there are only two seasons in a year: Hunting Season, and waiting for Hunting Season."

1985 Scottsdale 3/4 ton
14 Bolt SF, SM465/208, 355 CHEVY
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 09:51 AM
Mud in my Veins

Get the 14FF, it's stronger, I bet cheaper, and like he said, GM common. The Detroit locker isn't that bad once you get used to it. u4ia4 on this board recently had one put in his stock Z71, and he loves it. Everyone I've talked to with one says that after a while, they were used to it and it wasn't that big of an issue while driving. Remember, you drive a 4000-6000lb GM truck, not some little 3000lb Jeep. Those are where you have to be careful.

Just so you know, ARB is working on a locker for the 14FF. The problem is how big the 14FF is, and it's internal design. Several people from this board have talked to them about it and all were told, "we're working on it." Just have to wait.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 11:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My detroit is unnoticable.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's, Some Greys
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 09:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks to all for thier posts! =o)
I think i am going with the detroit rear and possibly an ARB'd front when (if) i get the $$$ for a Dana 60 front. But first i need to take the sawzall to the fenders after yesterday's run ;o)
thanks again
Zakk

"When the going gets weird...the Weird turn pro."
-HST
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 10:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Please excuse my newbieness but...

What is a locker? I'm sorta new to trucks and I havent figured this stuff out yet
Is it comparable to a posi?
Did any trucks come with posi's?
I know a have a Corp 14 rear in my 85' and I'm not sure how its different from a locker, but lockers sound kinda like posi's, somethin to do with both wheels turning as opposed to 1 with a standard diff.
How would one get a detroit locker if desired?
Thanks[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

1985 Chevy Fullsize K 20 "Bogger" in the making..
1989 Chevy S-10 daily driver
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 11:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd also do the 14 bolt. ARB is SUPPOSE to be coming out with a locker soon for it. I'm jumping on it when they do. The Detroit is a great locker but the only down side is the snapping effect it has when it engages from a turn. It doesn't do it all the time, just when you least expect it.

2mnytoys-
Check out these links:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/differential6.htm
http://www.off-road.com/chevy/tech/detroit/

Shawn
87 K5
few mods

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 12:11 PM

WHOOOOOOOHOOOOOO i get to pitch the detroit locker...here goes
alright, first of all its FAR superios in strength to the stock carrier and any "locker" (G-80) they can put in off the line. as most know my carier blew apart and trashed my whole driveline...so a new driveline later and a locker and all is well. i only noticed a problem with it once. i was hauling a 32' monohull sailboat for my old man going through the Au Sable River valley...hills, curves...etc. i hit the gas coming out of a downhill grade and through a curve. with that much weight pushing me i noticed that the truck did want to go straight a little bit (and the road curved so not such a good thing)...this was in the first few hundred miles i had it in so i was still new to the feel of it.
ocasionally..VERY rarely, i do hear a bit of a clunk as it engages. i thought it was going to happen at every turn from all of the horror stories I've heard. this just isn;t the case. i hardly notice its in there. i can now hit the gas and pop the clutch without burning off $50 worth of rubber. kinda nice having traction to both wheels.
here's the ebst part of this locker...darn thing saved my life last week. run a search for something like "how's this for a monday" or something similar and you'll get an overview of how it saved me.
so if you're even remotely considering a detroit locker <font color=red> GET IT </font color=red>---Peacock

<font color=red>96 Z-71 EXTcab, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train </font color=red>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 12:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I love Detroit Lockers. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] An ARB would help in the front...but there's no question about it, a Detroit is perfect for the rear. I've heard the horror stories too, and after driving a few trucks equipped with them, the stories are unfounded. Besides, it's kinda cool to get on the gas and chirp the inside rear tire. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 10:14 PM
Mud in my Veins

I'm still thinking about a spool.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode