Check your bolts! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 12:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check your bolts!

My K5 was leaking pretty bad and I thought it was coming from the engine. I finally found today that it's coming from my t-case where the tranny bolts up to it. There's the adapter and one side was so loose, I could turn each bolt by hand a couple times before it got tight. I'm just suprised nothing broke. I tightened both ends of the adapter and started to check more and found that the tranny to bellhousing bolts were loose. Last week my steering box was loose also. It would be good idea for anyone to check all the bolts/nuts on their vehicle(s). This would include the bolts as mentioned above, driveshafts, leaf spring ubolts, shackles, wheels, and anything else you can think of. I can't stress enough on wheels (use a torque wrench too). I'm REALLY, REALLY glad that my engine isn't leaking oil. I thought for sure it was rear main, head gasket or a manifold leak (major PITA).

Shawn
87 K5
few mods

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 12:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Check your bolts!

I just pulled my front driveline off to put some new ujoints in it, and the bolts that bolt it to the therd member were all loose, Im suprised the didnt snap the last time I had the front end locked in

My truck & A Cowboys Dream!! enough said
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 01:06 AM

torque wrench for lug nuts? i figured I'd just giver hell till she wouldn;t turn anymore. GM torque specs translated to ORC torquing specs...
Lug nuts: GM specs = One loud grunt and 2 cracking vertebrea.
---Peacock

<font color=red>96 Z-71 EXTcab, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 08:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I always torque my lugs to two and a HALF grunts and THREE cracking vertabrae just for good measure......

--Matt

http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 08:47 AM

well that would be great but you have to account for the difference in tire iron size...mechanical advantage and all. since my 4-way is 33% larger than yours you have to account for that. now you're set on the vertabrae, but it looks like.....WTF
do you realize how pathetic this is. we're comparing how many grunts we make when changing a tire. yeah, we're certainly not normal.
--Peacock

<font color=red>96 Z-71 EXTcab, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train </font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 08:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well, my brother had a different tehnique if you don't like grunting and so on, he just snapped lug nut iron things (the chrome looking X type things you buy in part stores), he comes in to the house with a twisted off tip and wines about it being crappy, i go out there and try to take the lug not off and i almost brake my back, never moved it, good thing he never cought a flat. don't ask me how he did it, he was 16 at the time too.

Will work for mods

Current mods--&gt; 31x10.5x15 ProComp MT, 15x8 AR767 rims, K&N, MSD Ignition Coil.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 11:58 AM
Drew K1500

I was driving down the street when i heard an awful grinding noise. I looked back to see sparx coming off of my truck. I pulled over to find my rear drivers side rim about 1/4" from falling off of the axle. Apparently all of the lug nuts fell off and the center cap was grinding on the brake drum.

How does it feel to be beaten by a sewing machine?
HUSQVARNA WXC610
Fly Your Flag, Support our Veterans

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 01:02 PM

<font face="Times New Roman"size=3>
<font color=green>
I had a brake shop replace a wheel cylinder for me a few years back (I know, I know, but I didn't have time to do it) and they forgot to tighten the lug nuts. I only made it a block before the wheel came off. Luckily the center of the wheel caught on the lug nuts so it didn't fall off completely, but you can bet that I was PISSED. I had a couple of broken wheel studs at the time, I told them that if they replaced all of the wheel studs on the truck and rebalanced all of the tires then I'd call it even. I ended up making out pretty good on that one...

Evan[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Ugly Brown Truck v2.0 coming soon(ish)!</font color=green>

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 02:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Man, when I put the wheel spacers on, I forgot I didn't tighten it. I drove the truck for about 200 to 300 miles. I got some major vibes around 55mph. I thought it was b/c of the crappy dshaft angles. Then one day I looked in the side mirror when I was going about 20mph and saw my rear tire wigglying around...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Scary. I instantly remembered I didn't tighten them to spec. I drove home and jacked the rear up and there were over 1/4" play on each side!!! Very scary!! But I was fortunate that nothing major happened. Oh, and the truck goes 75mph no prob now.
Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 02:35 PM
imported_ChevyLover

Shawn says check your bolts, but after all that grunting, you might want to check your nuts as well [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode