O/T Gliding - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

O/T Gliding

Well this weekend I went out to the North Battleford gliding centre, and helped my brother out with the students. He teaches people to glide on the weekends, and he took me up for two flights today. I meant to get a picture of the winch that we use to tow the glider into the air, but it wouldn't fit on here anyways. Basically the winch is a big pontiac big block, tranny, and differential that only goes out one side, its HUGE! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It sits on the back of a 3 ton truck(Furd). They are short on funds, so things out there are [censored], thats the governments funding for ya I guess. Oh well I guess if the farmers can't get money we can't. Anyways I was just getting into this 3 ton and i let out the clutch, but the p-brake was still on [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]. So anyways thats no big deal, but i take er outa gear, and it won't start back up again, I guess the key had been stuck in the start position, I didn't start it the first time though! So the started and solenoid were toasted, I've never heard that noise that it made before. anyways, we towed the 3 ton ford onto the runway with a chevy, and then we continued our flights. If I could post pics I would cus they are really cool, but they're way to big, so no pics for you guys n gals. Gliding is really cool, and really, fun, so I had a great time. If anyone could post these pics somewhere else, on their website then i could send them to you, and you could post three pics, or someone could help me get my photopoint set up and it would be cool there.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 11:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: O/T Gliding

Send em to me if you have a high speed connection. I'll shrink and post, maybe add a few ufos too. [email protected]

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's, Some Greys
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

LOL, sorry frank I got photopoint workin, try this link to view and tell me if it works.
Edit*** By the way, having a digital camera is the greatest thing in the world. How can I show you this little camera, Canon named it the digital elf, Its tiny. 2.25" x 3.5". it takes video, single shot, multishot burst-fire, and timed shots. and we have a 125 mb card. WOW

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 12:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

cool they worked. Camera sounds expensive. Just take apic in a mirror.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's, Some Greys
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 09:22 AM
Mud in my Veins

Looks like fun Kevin. I went gliding as a birthday present when I was about 12-14. My grandpa went up too. He flew in gliders during WWII, said it was nice to do it without people shooting at him. I had a great time, the guy even let me fly it a little. Didn't hurt anyone![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] They used a little Piper Super Cub to pull us into the air, then just detached the cable and off we went.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

The first time I ever went up, when I was about 12 also, we used a tow plane. This time we used the winch and its totally crazy. You accelerate 0-60 in about 4 seconds, and it tows you about 1900 feet on average, in less than 60 seconds. I think the ratio is 1.2 feet up, for every 1 foot forward.

Kevin
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 01:30 PM
Mud in my Veins

Cool. Technically that winch is a catapault. Similar concept to how the US Navy shoots it's 45,000lb jet fighters into the air off of aircraft carriers with way less space than they would normally need.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 01:31 PM
Can't Get Enough

Looks like the sail plane i went up in for an intro flight when i was 16. The instructor/pilot was like 80 years old and all my friends that went were afraid he wsa goingto have a heart attack during the flight. He let me fly the whole time and even let me land.

pics of the V30
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Sorry AJM, but a winch is a winch even if its a big block engine with a tranny, a driveshaft, and a differential that has a drum of cable attatched to it, its got a 4 barrel carb too, hehee.

Kevin
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 11:01 PM
Mud in my Veins

I was just saying it would technically be a catapault since the job it does is the job desription of a catapault.

Aircraft, Cars, and Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode