Shifter question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 05:53 PM
Kendog454

Shifter question

Anyone know how to put on a Hurst or B and M t-handle on their 5 speed stick? My buddy's got a 91 and the hole in the shifter is probably too large to accomidate the stick, but we cant even get the shifter off! Any help appreciated.

"Around here, there are only two seasons in a year: Hunting Season, and waiting for Hunting Season."

1985 Scottsdale 3/4 ton
14 Bolt SF, SM465/208, 355 CHEVY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 06:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Shifter question

Well its a far shot but is there a plate on the top of the trans that the shifter goes into? Possibly 4 bolts holding it on? I swapped out a manual trans in my s-10 and thats how that shifter came off. Just a thought...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 06:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Shifter question

ok, there is a nut that locks the shifter in place. if you want to remove the whole stick, take off the boot or slid it down if you can and there will be a nut that needs to be loosened then the whole stick unscrews from the part that goes into the tranny. you dont need to take the whole stick off but thats how u do it. the knob should be the same way. you should see a nut at the bottom of the knob. you want to screw it like youre tightening it down the stick, not like you are unscrewing it off the end. that should allow you to unscrew the knob from the end of the stick. there is also a possiblity there is a nut under the plastic tab that shows the gears. use a flathead screwdriver to pop that off but i doubt its there. gm used several different setups though

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 some goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode