Front axle problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 12:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Front axle problems

I just bought a motorless 78 Blazer. 3" lift, 33" Super Swamper TSLs. Dropped a stock 350 in out of my 73 2wd p/u.

A few trips around the pasture and the front end developed a snap crackle pop. (I was really impressed with how it handled an old, mostly dried up pond. More extreme stuff than I've ever done. It handled the mud, drop offs and inclines just great.) Thought it was the left front ujoint, but was wrong. The front gearbox contained no oil, just mucky "grease" with metal strips in it. Must have ate one or more bearing/race/etc. I have the driver's side axle out. The gears look fine so far...

I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but have never been into the axles. Is this something a backyard mechanic could/should tackle? Looking around the net and reading my Chilton's etc. shows that a press should be used on some parts.

If not... How should I get it to the shop? and about what will this repair cost me?
It's 14 miles out at our farm...
Would it be best to just take the whole axle loose and take that to a mechanic, so I wouldn't have a tow bill?

As an option, I have a '77 3/4 ton pickup with a good front end. Could this be swapped over? I'm thinking the gear ratio is probably different, so I might have to swap both axles...???... The Blazer has new drums and calipers, so would hate to lose that. I haven't got ahold of the guy I bought the Blazer from, but I'm guessing the gears have been changed because the speedo is real close even with the big tires. So I'm thinking this really wouldn't be a good option...

If I can rebuild it, any tips hints for a 1st timer?

(Lessons learned... Even if you have to do something as major as drop a motor in a vehicle you just bought, check ALL fluid levels. It probably wouldn't have prevented my problem, but it might have...)

WizarDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 06:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Front axle problems

Can you tell if the front axle is a dana 44 or a Corporate 10 bolt? In 78 it could be either. In 77 it should be a dana 44, so if the 77 and your axle are the same its a dana 44. I've setup 10 bolts, not dana 44's. People say its a bear to do a D44.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 06:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My steering used to make poping noises, make sure your box is tight. Just a thought.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's, Some Greys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 01:52 PM
Can't Get Enough

throw in the 3/4 ton stuff and have a pretty heavy duty truck. Or if you must rebuild the old one, it shouldn't be hard to do. take off your spindles and knuckels and pull the axle shafts out about 2 or 3 inches. then unbolt the bearing caps and remove the carrier. i don't know if it takes a press to remove the bearings, but if you take it to a shop at this point you just saved an hour or two of labor. Replace or have the bearings replaced and reverse the steps above. If i missed anything here that i don't know about the little GM axles some one pleas fill in the blanks.

pics of the V30
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 01:55 PM
Can't Get Enough

ok, i just read another post and you do not have to take the knuckle off to get the shafts out. the D60 does and that is what i have and i thought the process was the same.

pics of the V30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode