Anybody relocate their rear bumper (3" body lift) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anybody relocate their rear bumper (3\" body lift)

OK, so I'm sick of using yellow caution tape to hide the nasty gap between the body and my rear bumper. I got the PA rear bumper relocation brackets, but I have NO clue how to install them. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] I'm not sure if my bumper was replaced or what...but it doesn't seem that these brackets will work. Or any, for that matter. Anybody done this on an 88-98? Or is my Tahoe 'special' and has a different rear bumper than the C/K trucks?

Need me to take pictures to clarify?

Help! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 01:44 PM

Re: Anybody relocate their rear bumper (3\" body lift)

On my 95 it bolted right up on the second try. The first time I put the brackets on the wrong side of the bumper bracket so I had to switch them and after that it worked just fine.

As you can see in the last one, the top bolt wouldn't go in so I just left it out. Theres no hole behind those for the bolt to go into.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 02:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CRAP! They are different. I looked at your pics and thought "OK, that'll be easy enough". Went to start unbolting the bumper...first thing, the support brackets are different. No big deal, I thought. Upon further inspection, the frame itself is different, but the bumper is the same. It necks down about an inch from where the bumper meets the frame, just enough so the brackets don't fit. So...I think I could get these brackets to work, but I would have to cut a chunk of it away, AND drill 2 holes in my frame. And I thought I could get this done today! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] I'm sure as heck not cutting the brackets with a hacksaw....grrrrrrr.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 12:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

what I did was reuse my original brackets, I flipped them over and swapped sides so they would riase the bumper instead of dropping it, I had to redrill 4 wholes 2 on each bracket since only one on the bumper and one on the frame would line up.
Ive got one of those realy heavy 8" drop bumpers so it may be dif than the factory bumper

My truck & A Cowboys Dream!! enough said
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 06:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Anybody relocate their rear bumper (3\" body li

hey evan - you got any pics of doing that? i havent had the time (or remembered) to look at mine to see what would be involved in making some brackets. its raining right now, maybe ill remember tomorrow.... pics would help though! thanks

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 some goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 07:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Anybody relocate their rear bumper (3\" body li

I just examined mine more closely...and there's no way in hell those pickup brackets will work on my Tahoe. It would move the bumper out six inches, and up three. After I modify them. It'll look beyond retarded. Drats.

So...Mike, you want mine? Name a price. Never installed. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 07:33 PM

Umm, I just checked out one of my friends tahoes and it has the exact same brackets and setup as mine. The frame and everything.

Jason
Big Willy Style

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 07:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2dr or 4dr? I can go take pics...but there aren't any brackets. And the body mount is in a different spot, too.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 07:49 PM

His is a 2dr. Take some pics of yours so I can see what your talking about. On mine the middle two brackets were replaced and the outer two brackets that come in at an angle are just raised.

Jason
Big Willy Style

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 07:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My truck:

That frame certainly doesn't look like yours!

Any bracket I make will move the bumper OUT, instead of keeping it close to the body. I'll have to cut away a portion of the framerail to make a bracket that will lift the bumper up. If I modify the brackets I have, the bumper will be moved out about 5", and look rediculous.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode