Side mirrors ARE FIXED! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Side mirrors ARE FIXED!

My truck has the big rear view mirrors mounted on the tubes that the 88-94 trucks had. You can see them in the picture below:

Whenever I get up around 65 or more on the highway, the darn things sweep back like an F-14 sweeps it's wings back.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Sorry, just had to put that analogy in there. Unfortunately for me, it doesn't make the truck any faster and I can see myself, not the road behind and to the sides of me.

So how do I fix this?

I'm driving 2500 miles back to Michigan sometime in the next 2 months (dumb Marine Corps[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]) and would really be glad to not have to deal with this.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 06:25 PM

Re: Side mirrors get aerodynamic at speed........

Hmmm, I know on my brothers 92 that had those type of mirrors on it he could pull the little plastic bezel off where the mirror mounts to the truck and there was an adjuster screw in there to change tension. Not sure if yours are the same cause I think he may have gotten a diff. set of aftermarket ones that looked the exact same after his roll over. But not sure. Worth a look. Otherwise, JB weld the suckers [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 07:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yep, Mine have that tension bolt too. Little philips head screw can be seen from underneath the miiror, then cover slides back and you can set clamp bolt.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 07:11 PM

yup, the guys said, take the plastic triangle thing of by unscrewing the the torqx screw on the bottom side(i have no torx srew driver that size, so i used a small flat head screwdriver). kinda squeeze the center section as you pull it back...as there are two little legs with tabs that hold the cover in the slot. anyway, just tighten up the two hex screws...size 5/16 (i think) - then stick the cover back on and tightem the screw.

i just did this a couple weeks ago...the things ain't going anywhere now! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2 words: DUCK TAPE

ok, yes im bored tonight so most of my posts are totally off topics [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] on a side note, i found my scanner power cable so when i get back to school monday i will scan and post my pics [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 some goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 11:19 PM
Drew K1500

Oh I have these same dadgum mirrors. smacked mine downward with a rubber mallet. Problem solved.

How does it feel to be beaten by a sewing machine?
HUSQVARNA WXC610
Fly Your Flag, Support our Veterans

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 11:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

AJM-

Check out the wrecking yards for a 95-98. They will have the new style mirror. I got mine for 100 bucks for the pair. They look WAY better. Also solves the speed mirror problem.

Rhino

PS-Electric mirrors will work just like manual mirrors, they move with the push of a hand.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 12:33 PM
Veteran

Yeah, I have the new style mirrors on my Yukon too and seeing I have a new style grill on it also everyone thinks it's a 96-99 rather than an OLD 1993!!!

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-529976-5.jpg (20.6 KB, 3 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 02:07 PM
BigBlueZ71

My mirrors used to do that, so I bought the new black style, no more folding and like RyanB said, people think my truck is like a '98 model....until they look at the square dash.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Hey thanks guys. I dug out my allen wrenches (which I had forgotten I owned [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]) and sockets and tightened down those two 5/16" bolts on each side. Were barely even vibrating on the drive home from work today.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I don't want to put the newer style on because I like how big of a field of vision these older ones give me. I drove a friend's pickup a while back, and every time I looked in them I was nervous because I felt like I couldn't see everything. Besides, I like the look of these mirrors.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode