urban offroading! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 02:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

urban offroading!

Well...not really. More like: why IFS sucks.

I've got stupendous articulation in the rear...but the front's already off the ground. Buggers.

Look at that paint!

Stupid gravel!

What a fine posterior.

Sorry, I know 99.5% of you don't care, but I'm bored today. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

/me plans Dana 44 conversion

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 02:57 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: urban offroading!

The sucky part for me is here in San Diego I can't even find any place like that to go play.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I talked to a guy at Off Road Motorsports in Grand Rapids, MI, the other day, and from the way he was talking about a solid axle swap and the prices he was talking, I'm starting to think about that again. Why spend a bunch of money fixing my IFS and still have a crappy system, when I can pay a bit more and have a solid axle? Hmmmmmmm...........

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 03:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Exactly...if I ever decide to put my truck on 38's, I'm going to skip the IFS lift and just go with a solid axle. So much simpler and better off-road. And I'm sure cheaper in the long run, too. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: I can't read.

Grand Rapids is only about an hour and a half away from Silver Lake. When are you moving to Michigan?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 03:20 PM
Mud in my Veins

Yep, born and raised in Middleville, Michigan. It's about 20 minutes south of Grand Rapids on M-37. I'm moving back there for a little while in October/November, and then sometime after that I will be getting my own place in the Battle Creek/Kalamazoo area. I'm the founder of Michigan Online Offroaders. Would love to hit the dunes with a bunch of my buddies next year. Keep me updated on times and I bet I can have at least 2 trucks from the Middleville crew.

I'm not planning on anything taller than 33's. It's going to be my fiance/wife's daily driver and the family tow vehicle/light duty 4x4. Got to keep it low for her (5'4") and the eventual kids jumping in and out. I'm looking into getting an old 1 ton for the fun with 36" and up tires. If the Blazer was stock and I'd just run 285's and forget about it, but it has that POS lift on it and that would be spending another $700 or so on parts and labor to convert it back to stock. I can just save for a few more months and do it the right way. Find one of those $75 front 10 bolts, and a NP241 out of a K5 isn't that expensive either.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 04:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cool. I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin currently, but I spent two years in Flint going to school, and am planning an eventual return to Michigan, prolly the greater Detroit area somewhere. Maybe early next year. I've got a buddy in Mattawan (Kalamazoo area) with a lifted Cherokee, other than that most of the people in Michigan I know are in Detroit. I go back there pretty frequently, and am going up to Silver Lake on the 15th, my friends and I should have about 8 trucks out there at once. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

My truck's my daily driver as well, so I'm not going higher than 33's for now. But...if I ever get something to replace it for daily driver status, the Tahoe's going all out with 38's, Dana 44, lockers, Whipplecharger[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], built tranny, blah blah blah. But I'm just dreaming at the moment. For now it's good enough, and still has decent road manners.

So I take it you don't like your torsion bar lift? I was looking into getting one to eliminate my tire rubbing problem. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]. The body lift isn't quite enough.

Hmmm...just read other post on IFS lifts. I've already cranked my torsion bars...so I guess I'll let 'em rub.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 05:06 PM
Mud in my Veins

Cool, sounds like we should all get together some time and play trucks.

Does your buddy know any good trails in the area? I'll be living in the area, and someone with knowledge of the local 4x4 spots would be most appreciated.

Yep, this lift pretty much overall gets a negative rating. Just not worth it. I'd say if you really wanted to fix the rubbing, you'd be MUCH better off going out and getting some 15x8's with more backspacing. The sad fact is that I sold the rims I got my 285's with, and now I am running them on the stock rims. I could have saved myself the whole troubled 2 years and about $2000 if I had just put the 285's on my stock rims in the first place![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Aircraft, Cars, and Me
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 07:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll ask my buddy about it. If you were up in Flint, I could give you street directions to the 5+ trails WITHIN CITY LIMITS that are both challenging and exciting. God I miss that city.

I now know that the 15x8's would've eliminated my rubbing problem, but it's not exactly a high priority at this point. It serves as a sanity meter, and keeps me from going too fast or tackling extremely rough terrain in my daily driver. That didn't stop me from taking it to the Badlands though! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Anyhoo...

Since I found the urban offroading idea so splendid, here are a few more pics:

War Pig @ Miller Brewery (note sign in backround)

War Pig under I-94, downtown Milwaukee.

I-94, different locale.

WOW I'm bored! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 10:16 PM
Mud in my Veins

I'll have to show these pictures to my buddy Bill. Born and raised in Milwaukee.

Aircraft, Cars, and Me
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 12:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

See if he can name the sidestreets I was on. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 02:01 PM
Can't Get Enough

Hey Andrew, did you ever go down to Brown Field/Otay Mesa area to play? it is only about 15 minutes from you. It is mainly dirt roads but they get a little rough at spots and when it rains down there(haha) it will leave a few good ruts.

pics of the V30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode