Blessing or Curse? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 12:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Blessing or Curse?

Are Chevy's made easier to work on simply because you have to do it so often? I love my Blazer but this is getting old. Front wheel bearing disintegrated in Athens, TN. Engine fire in Opelika, AL. Oil pressure wandering all over creation (15-60 psi). Quadrajunk just won't cooperate under load. Are these just normal problems with a 22 yr old Blazer or should I trade it off and start over? Blazer fits my needs perfectly but I am getting aggravated. Opinions, please.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 12:44 AM

Re: Blessing or Curse?

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Even a brand new truck can blow up on you... There are some things you should pretty much automatically expect to do on an older vehicle. Maintenance.. That thing has what, probably close to 200k miles? Anything will give you difficulties with that many miles... Is the gage accurately reading? (verified with mechanical gage?) Might be a good idea to replace all bearings in axles... At least check how much play they have. Change U-joints right now to prevent them from breaking. What caused the engine fire? Errant wiring? Backfire?

Keep in mind with this thing you know the history of it. If you get something else, regardless of how well you check it out, it might end up being a bigger POS than what you have now...</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 01:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks sandman, I needed to hear that. Actually has a crate motor in it w/ 20k mi but the rest is anyone's guess. The fire was due to a wire that got way too close to the exhaust manifold. Fried the ignition wires, three spark plug wires and the coil, also apparently melted the diaphragm in the fuel pump. You have a point, though, by the time I am done I will know the entire history.
'79 K5 w/ 350

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 03:58 PM
Mud in my Veins

Sounds like normal occurances on a 22 year old truck that you don't know the complete maintenance history of.

Time to tune up the Quadrajet. It's the best 4x4 carb by far, and it sounds like yours just needs a tune up. Not to hard to do, but different from all the other carbs. That's why people end up getting frustrated, tossing them off, and installing a Performer or a Holley or something. Then the truck sucks offroad, and they get even more angry. Just get a good Quadrajet manual and it can be done. You also might want to make sure you have the right cfm for your engine.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 07:19 PM

that's pretty normal stuff happening with your truck. the parts are getting old, thus replacement or repair is necessary. anyway, just get your carb cleaned up and tuned and fix whatever comes up.

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 08:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the cheering up! I needed it. I guess I'll just fix it as i go along. My brain tells me that I could fix alot for the price of a new one. I and two others have tried to resurrect the Quad and neither of us are having any luck w/ the secondary flaps in the top. The throttle valves in the bottom come in fine, but w/o the extra air it is way too rich. I bought two manuals and they are too generic to help with my specific problem. Any ideas?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 10:23 PM
Mud in my Veins

Are they Quadrajet specific manuals? I know 4Wheel & Offroad just did a rebuild of one in the last month's edition. Might have been 2 editions ago. Anyways, Hot Rod has also done some pretty in depth rebuilds over the past few years.

If all else fails, get yourself another one from a junkyard. GM used those things by the millions on all kinds of cars.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 10:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hmmm....sounds suspicous to me. id bet money that someone removed a satanic-like blue oval emblem from your front grill and replaced it with a bowtie and you fell for thinking it was a chevy! well, just imagine spending a ****load of money on a brand new truck and having the same problems.....then you would know what owning a phord is like...

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 some goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode