Need Pro vs Con on hypertech OBDII programer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 10:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need Pro vs Con on hypertech OBDII programer

I have small 305 vortec in my 96 K1500 reg cab,Im gonna put some bigger tires but cannot afford to loose that much power since Im towing a 4000lbs camper around.
Im thinking Hypertech programmer might help a bit.
Do i need to run hight octane gas in it with the programmer?
Thanks
BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 10:47 PM
Veteran

Re: Need Pro vs Con on hypertech OBDII programer

Yeah thats why alot of people won't run them because they have to pay that much for gas. And the extra MPG doesn't make up for the cost of the more expensive gas. What size of tire are you running or thinking about running? if you have stock 265's you can move up to a 285 which will give you some height and some width and you won't have any preformance problems at all.

Good luck....Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 08:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the hypertech program in my 97. And don`t think it is any good if you are after more power. For tire,gear,or thermostat changes it is great. It also works for trans shifting changes. But I can not tell ant power difference when I change the settings. And the gas mileage increasing is a joke. That also goes for the K&N filter. IMHO they are a waste of money for improving power.

Do what you have to, just get it up! CHEVY 4x4`s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 08:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

one more thing, I Think it is worth the price for the other things I mentioned. Puting a 162 degree thermostat will give you more power(not much,but some) and will help the engine last longer.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 09:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll have to say the lower temp thermostat won't do anything, for multiple reasons.

1. modern fuel injected engines are design to run warm (190-210)
2. less wear occurs in a warm motor
3. fuel economy will decrease with a cold motor, blah blah blah...

Everyone I've talked to (including GM engineers, FWIW) say to run at the minimum a 180^ thermostat. Any colder and the engine may have difficulty getting up to temperature, which is counterproductive. Warm is good. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

About the Hypertech...it's decent for gearing changes, but that's about it. I had a friend (who shall remain nameless) program my PCM with a Tech-2 *Flash*, and did a bunch of stuff...removed timing retard on WOT shifts, increased line pressure in trans @ critical points, changed the speedo, changed the timing curve (more agressive, but I can still get away with 89 octane unless I'm at the Dunes or something), eliminated torque management, and...removed my speed limiter. My truck's been over 100 mph on a few occasions now, and I can't decide if it was a good idea to remove it or not. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It does pull significantly harder in 2nd gear, so I'm happy.

BTW...I noticed a huge loss in performance from the 31's to 33's. Anybody who can't tell doesn't have a very sensitive butt-o-meter. I'm not sure, (haven't run it at the track yet with the taller tires) but I think after the PCM redeux it's still a little slower than stock. Milage got worse, too.

Good luck!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 09:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is our take on the the PPIII,
I have a 99 Silverado and two of my friends have 2001 Silverados. When set to the 93 Octane program and 93 Octane fuel a seat in the pants feel is noticeable and passing people is much easier (it is obvious), but all 3 of us get pinging. I have a stock thermo and the other 2 have the 160 PowerStat. Ping Ping Ping then a Knock sometimes to set off our Service Engine Idiot Lights. All the other great things are wonderful (Increased Top Speed, Gear Change Correction, Tire Size Correction, Increased Rev Limit, Increased Shift Point, Improved Shift Quality), but in order to protect our engines all 3 of us installed the Improved 87 Octane Program and Run 89 Octane Fuel. The Engine Dyno only found 4 rear wheel HP on this setting, but fuel economy went way up and no pinging. BTW, before evenyone tells us we were getting bad gas, between the 3 of us we have tried ALL the stations in our area. With 4.56 Gears, 35" Tires, and improved gas mileage I feel the $350 was worth the 315 Miles Per Tank compared to the 264 I was getting.

BTW, If you go noticeably bigger in tire size (3 sizes or more) the PPIII isn't going to give you the Power you had. (2-3 sizes wasn't noticeable to me, but the forth, 35", is a dog)

---Low Riders are for Guys who can't get it Up!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 10:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Blusmbl; The lower temp will indeed give you more power(atleast on the 98 and older)and will most likely add life to the motor. Lower temps reduce ping(may not get rid of it,but will reduce it)There is a world of difference in power with my truck(97 350 auto 6" lift 35" BFG all terains 192,000 miles) when using 160 degree thermostat,compared to the 192. and the mileage is atleast 1-2 MPG`s better. I have not so much as changed the spark plugs in my truck.

Other then oil changes,gas, and tires the only thing I`ve had to do to it is; Alternator, thermostat, transmission filter an fluid, and front end alignment. I still get the same 14-15 MPG I did when it was new. and I have no problem getting it up to 100+ MPH. But I`m not here to argue with anyone, these are just my opinions.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 11:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just because I'm curious...

What operating temperature did your truck run at with:

a. the 192* thermostat
b. the 160* thermostat

and...did you do the thermostat and the PPIII at the same time?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 02:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Factory was 192, And yes I did them both together. But I have did comparisons with Hypertech and 192, Hypertech and 160, without Hypertech and with 192, and without Hypertech and with 160. I can not tell any difference with the Hypertech or without it. I just know I get better mileage and have better throttle response with the 160 degree thermostat then I do any other set up.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 03:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fair enough. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode