KC light problems AGAIN - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 12:20 PM
BigBlueZ71

KC light problems AGAIN

Do yall remember my post a while back while i was in Arkansas about my KC's not working. well then it was the fuse, SO I put a fuse that was rated 5amps higher in there. well all was fine, they have worked perfectly up until today. I get out of class, go to my truck, turn on my lights and then flip on my KC's b/c it was really dark and rainy today....and! NO KC's, I get out, open the hood and check the wires, the freakin fuse connector had burned up and melted. So I went straight to Texan Truck Accessories, who installed them and they told me to come in wednesday and they can redo the wiring. I think i'll uh....discard that higher amped fuse before they start working on it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 12:42 PM

Re: KC light problems AGAIN

well sounds to me like you need to put some BAW in there..(Big Ass Wire) I"ve found that a nice 4 guage works well for such accessories. you can get it at most mobile audio shops...oh...a relay too. much better just unning a switch, but I"ll bre the Texan Truck guys already did that. Good luck
---Peacock

<font color=red>96 Z-71 EXTcab, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train </font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 12:52 PM
BigBlueZ71

Yeah there's a relay under the hood, and then a switch inside, i think they do that to keep the high voltage stuff from being under the dash? yeah what wire would I have to replace with some heavier wire, all of it? I probably wont do it, i'll just leave it up to the TTA to fix the problem, they said something about the relay going out but who knows.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 05:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd also suggest using a relay(s). Most switches you buy can not handle the power of most off-road lights. A high amp relay mounted between the battery and lights is good to have along with thick wiring as mentioned earlier.

Shawn
87 K5
few mods

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 01:01 AM
BigBlueZ71

OK the KC daylighter kit comes with a relay, I HAVE A RELAY so I dont know what went wrong, the wire that melted was under the hood right next to the relay, the fuse connector. i'm pretty sure it melted because I used too big of a fuse.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 11:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know how many lights you are running but it sounds like you have too much current draw for the wiring. I would divide the lights and use two relays, two fuses, and separate wires for the lights, a single switch can still control both relays, but it will cut the current load in half on the wiring.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 12:25 PM

Your fuse holder melted because you were pulling too much current through it. Now, if the fuse you origionally had that went out was the supplied fuse from KC in the kit then it should have been fine and you may have a small short in the system that creates a high current draw. But if it's a fuse they just stuck in there then that may be the problem. Should put an ammeter in line and read the total current draw then use ohms law to figure out what you should have as a current draw which is Current=Voltage/Resistance. Compare the two and if your actual is way higher then you more than likely have a problem in the system and have them check it out. Anyway, thats what I would do. If you just have a high current drawing light, rewire with a heavier gauge wire that can handle the current.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode