Rear end gear ratio changing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 08:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rear end gear ratio changing

I just got my new 12 bolt rear end under my truck but I have thuroughly decided the 3.08 gears suck. In Summit a set of 4.10 are $191. How hard and what all is invaled in changeing these out? TO me all it looks like is to take the center pin out to slide the axels out a little bit then take the 4 bolts that hold it in off then take the yoke off then put the new frot gear in and put the yoke back on then put the new ring gear on then put back together. Is it pretty easy? The front I am going to leave to a shop to do I think. Thanks..

'86 GMC 4x4 Shortbox SS
http://mnorby.virtualave.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 09:03 AM

Re: Rear end gear ratio changing

You need to know the new pinion depth to shim new pinion, set the case bearing preload, and adjust the pattern on the new ring and pinion. Its not a job for beginners, although basic mechanical skill can get through it. Take your time if you decide to do it yourself. Once you set a bad pattern on the gears, the whine just gets worse, and your new gears will be shot.

95 4Runner
00 Ford F-250 Super Duty

To deceive an enemy, pretend you fear him.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 09:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you know of any manuals or website that explains how it is done? I am fairly mechanical but I have never changed a gear ratio before. Is there any particular kind/brand of gears to get? Summit has the Richmond for about $200 then you can get the install kit for $100

'86 GMC 4x4 Shortbox SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 09:23 AM

I heard US gear is the way to go. They will replace the gear sets even if you set them up wrong. Look for a factory manual to get the set up numbers and step by step instructions. You will need a dial indicator with a magnetic base.

95 4Runner
00 Ford F-250 Super Duty

To deceive an enemy, pretend you fear him.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 09:30 AM

oh yeah, if the shimming is off, it'll howl like a banshee at higher speeds. mine does this right now. and i have a wicked shimmy. the pinion nut backed off cuz the dude at the shop never put lock-tite on in....so now I"m phucked
---Peacock

<font color=red>96 Z-71 EXTcab, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train </font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 11:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you set up the rear end, you can set up the front end, its done exactly the same way. Assuming your talking about the truck in your sig.

-Ryan

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 08:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ya, it's the same truck, the '86. I was just told the front it bear but they might have been talking about IFS or something. I think I'll try th back first then next pay check do the front if the back end went ok. Thanks for the input

'86 GMC 4x4 Shortbox SS
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 04:02 PM
Mud in my Veins

u4ia4, if their bad work is the reason for your problem, it seems to me that you could just take it back and bitch until they fix it or get it fixed. Am I missing something?

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 11:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was looking at 4 wheel parts and they have 4.10 for the 12 bolt for like $140 or $190 for thick gears. What is the difference between the two? Also the install kit is somewheres arounf $40, I take it that is pretty necessary too sinc eI don't have anyhting that kit comes with. Any other advice for installing the new gears? Thanks.

'86 GMC 4x4 Shortbox SS
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 03:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The setup kit from US Gear comes with all the shims, bearings, marking compound, etc. needed to set up your gears. It costs around 100 bucks.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode