Wrong info....Vortec heads - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Wrong info....Vortec heads

hey guys, i just surfed over sallee chevy's site again.....i misread the writeup on the vortec heads being a dual bolt pattern. so, you'll have to get the heads either tapped for TBI intake manifold, or get a new vortec-tapped TBI manifold($305)

sorry about the wrong info...but that needed to get cleared up [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 09:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Wrong info....Vortec heads

That's OK, I've made mistakes also. I've done the Vortec head swap. I learned a couple things. The Edelbrock Performer intake manifold for the Vortec heads are not quadrajet throttle cable / turbo 350 kick down cable friendly. The Edelbrock Performer intake manifold for the Vortec heads would be OK for a TBI, provided a quadrajet to TBI adapter plate is used. The cost of an Edlebrock Performer intake manifold and TBI - quadrajet adapter is less expensive than the GM Vortec TBI intake manifold.
dave

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 02:17 AM

Thanks for the correction Shorts. I was following that thread real closely, I just didn't have anything to add.

I sure with they made Vortec heads that were TBI manifold friendly and included the (internal?) EGR plumming. I need something I can sneak past Kalifornia smog. Maybe some nice aluminum heads painted stock colors. I'd be a shame to cover the perty aluminum though... but it would make for a good sleeper! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I'll have think about that a little more. See Ya', Brian.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 11:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The throttle kickdown can be very easily modified (took me about 10 minutes) to fit the new intake and acutally looks really stock.

The heads have stock GM numbers on them and with the adapter for the TBI intake I think that you can rig an external EGR. The only problem that I see is that I think the intake in non CA emmision. Not sure if they will get a CARB number for it or if they even can.

Later,
Shaneb

The Roanoke (VA) Times Photo Department
1986 3/4 ton 4x4 'Burban 5.7L Vortec Powered
2000 Specialized Rockhopper FSR
[img] http://people.unt.edu/~shaneb/front.jpg [/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 11:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bri-

You were talking about california smog. Here's the deal. As long as you run all the factory smog equipment, you're good to go. What you have inside they can't see. I've learned a couple things. SBC's tend to run rich, even with the 02 sensor. I would make sure the timing is 0, put in a 195 thermostat, and pick a cam with little to no overlap. Overlap is designed to coll the combustion chamber, and reduce detonation. This also INCEREASES the amount of unburnt fuel, going through the exhaust, in the form of HC (Hydrocarbons). I would also think about putting a new catyltic converter on it, as well as a carbon treatment. I built my motor quite a bit stronger than a stock GM TBI 350. It took me 3 chances to pass, but it was also a learning experience.

Rhino

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 12:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The only problem I had with the Vortec head conversion was the throttle cable / kick down cable brackets for the quadrajet installation I did. The older heads (pre 96) usually have the throttle cable / kick down cable brackets bolted to the intake manifold. The older intake manifolds (pre 96) have six bolts on each side of the intake manifold. The Vortec intake manifolds have only 4 bolts on each side, so usually the older throttle cable / kick down cable bracket will not just bolt on as before.

I used an aftermarket (Holley) throttle cable / kick down brackets that bolts to the quadrajet carburetor rear mounting bolts. I had to make some adjustments (measure, cut, and swedge new ends) to the throttle cable / transmission kick down cable. I'm always in favor of being able to get off the shelf replacement parts, it's not a big deal if you break a throttle cable; or is it a big deal when the stock replacement throttle cable won't fit or work?

Most of the work I do is not for my vehicle, so it's important for me to keep things as stock or stock looking as possible. Most people I work for don't have a clue as to what I did to make the conversion work in there vehicle. They give me a check and drive away.

I'm not sure what brackets would be required for a TBI system with the available Vortec intake manifolds. The TBI's I've worked on kept the original intake manifolds. I'd like to do a Vortec conversion to a TBI engine, but I've yet to find someone who would be willing to hire me.

dave

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 02:59 AM

Hey Rhino, I see you are here in San Diego too! Cool, what part of town?
Thanks for the info on the smog stuff. What all have you done to your motor? I'm curious what you had to change back to get it to pass smog. That would be a major PITA changing cams trying to get it to pass. Have you messed with the heads at all or are they stock? Also, do you have headers or stock manifolds?

On my 305 all have I have done is add an MSD coil and adjustable timing control. The timing control is great! I can change the timing on the fly depending on the load or quality of gas. It really is noticable when you advance it. Putting in supreme and bumping up the advance makes a nice difference in the power. Anyway, thanks for the info.
TTYL, Brian.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

ok, now the only thing i'm unclear on is the EGR. how would i have that hooked up to vortec heads and a TBI manifold?

btw, will my current centerbolt valve covers bolt on the vortec heads?

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2001, 11:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shorts-

For the EGR, you will need to run a return tube from an exhaust manifold/ header, to the intake manifold. Edelbrock makes them, and they come along with a kit they make for the vortec conversion. Your centerbolt valve covers still work, yes. You also asked about rockers. Your stock rockers will work just fine. If you want to upgrade, I would go to a 1.5 roller, or 1.6 roller, either from Crower or Comp.

You were also asking about $$$$. I did my whole motor, heads, cam, intake etc, for about 3,000. This was after going through all the incidentals. I know it sounds like alot, but not after factoring in all the stuff I did. I got stainless braided fuel lines, headers, and numerous bolts, hoses, etc. All new stuff to make sure everything was ok.

Rhino

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode