removing drive shaft - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

removing drive shaft

Would it hurt anything to remove the rear driveshaft then put the truck in 4wd and drive it? I am trying to isolate a noise and check to see if it is a u-joint? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 04:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: removing drive shaft

I drove from atlanta to Ocala Fl. on front shaft when the rear broke.The front finally gave out in ocala. Differnt feeling driving it but it was ok for a while. You will be fine for a short test. Good luck.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 04:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yea, you'll be OK. Like Frank, I helped a buddy drive his '90 Suburban with a blown out rear from Flint, Michigan to Madison, Wisconsin. It drives funny...(feels like the truck is being pulled along by the front tires!) but it was fine. Just try and keep it under 70 mph, LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

I started to just slide the whole drive shaft out of the transfer case without separating the yoke from the driveshaft and some fluid started spilling out. Can I go ahead and slide it out without disassembling the u-joint on the front of the shaft without loosing too much fluid? Will it spew fluid if I drive it without the yoke in the t-case?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 08:25 AM

you can pull the yoke from the output shaft and it'll be fine. a little fluid out is normal.

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 09:50 AM

likl fluid out is alright i velieve...vut whats stopping you from taping a piece of plastic over the opening..i.e. a plastic bag? just a though
---Peacock

<font color=red>96 Z-71 EXTcab, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train </font color=red>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 04:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I drove on my front end for about 2 weeks when I blew out my rear end. I was just careful when I was turning sharp not to floor it or anything.

'86 GMC 4x4 Shortbox SS
http://mnorby.virtualave.net
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

I thought of that but wasn't sure if it would fill up and fall off anyway and didn't know just how much fluid would come out. After driving without anything, this might have helped but it seems like a lot of fluid came out in just driving a couple miles under 45 mph. I ended up adding 2 quarts of fluid back into the t-case. What keeps water from entering the t-case when driving in water that is deeper that the t-case sits? I see that there is a rubber seal that the yoke sits in but the seal has a small hole at the bottom to allow excess fluid to drain. What keeps water from entering the hole or even around the seal because it doesn't seem very tight?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode