getting rusted exhaust nuts off? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 12:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

getting rusted exhaust nuts off?

so my dad is picking up my flowmaster kit today for me (that is if it is the right one). so yesterday i started to soak the nuts that are on the flang behind the cats with WD-40 and 80. so i just tryed to see if they would move and nothing happened. i have been soaking them all yesterday and this morning i would think that they would free up at least a little. i want to put the new cat back system on tonight but if i can't get the nuts off i can't. anyone know of a good trick to get them off (i have no way to get my hands on a torch either). any input is welcome

oh yeah i have not tryed to get the O2 sensor off yet either but that is not nearly as badly rusted so i am not to worried about that.
thanks for everything

*life is nothing without challanges*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 12:55 PM

Re: getting rusted exhaust nuts off?

I'd keep it soaked in penetrating oil until it is time to pull it apart. Then at the time of removal I'd use a big cheater pipe on a cheapie ratchet, better yet use a breaker bar (don't want to peel a knuckle off do you). Then if the bolt breaks, go down and buy new ones. If it breaks off and there is a part stuck in the flange on the cat, I don't know what to tell you - I guess find a chissel and a punch and a hammer and have fun.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 01:07 PM

First, throw that can of WD-40 in your tool box to get the water out of your distributor cap aftert wheeling... thats all its good for. Find Aerokroil(orange can)... best stuff around. Soak it real good all day. If you cant find Aerokroil, get some Pb blaster.. heard that stuff works good. I have yet to find a rusty bolt that can hold up to Aerokroil!!

95 4Runner
00 Ford F-250 Super Duty

To deceive an enemy, pretend you fear him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 01:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

go down to any good tool store and grab a nut cracker, It will just crack the nut and that free it up enough to get it to come loose, I also like the idead of just ggetting a prybar and breaking the bolt.
Ive also seen this work a time or 2 on seized nuts, take a chisesl and and place it in the outside of the nut, then grab a BFH and hit it hard, the chisel should make the inner part of the nut loosen up because the outside edges of the chissel are forceing it to spread a part.

Or take a hack saw if you have enough room under there and cut one side of the nut off. to free it up.

something should work, sometimes I think penetrating oile are over rated, since most of the time it just takes some sweat to get the job done, but ya some of that stuff is pretty good.

Evan

My truck & A Cowboys Dream!! enough said
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 02:28 PM

How about just starting up the truck [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
They will come off easier Hot than they will cold!

If they still don't budge use a "Nut splitter"
If you have never used one, it is VERY easy, cost about $10, and you can buy at any auto parts store, even checker/pepgirls/autozone will have them[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 03:45 PM

keep torqueing it till it breaks and then punch out the bolt
----Peacock

<font color=red>96 Z-71 EXTcab, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train </font color=red>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 05:04 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">You have a few ways you could go with this...

The nut splitter.

The big breaker bar/cheater bar combo (push away from you, don't pull towards you).

If you know anybody with an air compressor you could borrow that and a big impact gun (probably the simplest method, for me anyhow, at least it ends up being the method I tend to use)...

There are some cheap torch kits at Home Depot, they use oxygen and MAPP gas cylinders. Only down side is they can be hard to ignite in wind, and the small cylinders don't last a very long time, but enough to heat up and remove the nuts on the exhaust. I have one of those, it works well. I tend to use it more for heating and bending body metal than anything else...

You could just get a giant pipe cutter and cut the exhaust pipes off that way.

WD40 is junk. PBlaster or Aerokroil are the best. Put some high temp anti seize on the fasteners when you put them together again, never have to worry about rusted nuts again ([img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] yikes, that doesn't sound quite right)...

Just some thoughts...</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 07:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My Grandpa swore that WD-40 cured his Arthritis. I use angle grinders for all those kinda things. Just thought I would contribute my useless dribble.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 09:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok thanks everyone for your advise!! i have been soaking it in so jb 80(it is suposed to be better then wd-40) but tom. i will go out and get some aerokroil for sure. and hopefully that works. plus i heard that if u spray the nuuts before u run the truck and then after u run the truck for like 20mins then they should come off a lot easier anyone try that? well the shop called today and said the system was back ordered so i have untill next week to get the nuts off (how am i going to put it on with school and football practice?? o well forget football truck more important!!)
thanks everyone again for the input!

*life is nothing without challanges*
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 11:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Depending on where their located, I'd try a cutting torch. I've had great luck with it on my '85, just heat the rusted nut up cherry and the they usually pop loose without a problem, even on old suspension bolts![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Just dont grab those hot nuts with you bare hand, better have an assistant do it[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Good luck!

[img] http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_u...0-K201.JPG1985 [/img]
Chevy Fullsize K 20 "Bogger" in the making..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode