What would be a good setup for a TBI 350? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 12:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What would be a good setup for a TBI 350?

Hi guys. I am thinking of buying a 350 block to build up and put in my truck. I am wanting a very strong engine preferably 300hp and 350lb ft. of torque. I was thinking rebuild that other motor, and besides heads I don't want to spend much over 1300 or so. I know a decent set of heads will be around 1000 bucks or so right? If I build that motor, put a decent cam in there.. nothing wild. What else can I do to it to meet my goal. I will have a chip burnt to make it all work. What else? Roller rockers? any ideas? I don;t ahve a big budget.. any help would be appreciated. By the way I already ahve dual exhaust and a K&N so those are out. Think I can meet this goal? so I figure 1300 for the engine rebuild.. put my old heads from my engine on there for now, then later on add a decent set of aftermarket heads. What is a good set? Hpw much hp increase can I expect to get? Thanks and sorry for all the questions
Cody Lee

Keep honking I am reloading!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 12:20 AM

Re: What would be a good setup for a TBI 350?

i just thought....check out the jegs magazine and their crate motors. can easily get 300hp outof them. i'm thinking you can read up on the parts they used and more or less duplicate it.

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 12:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Shorts I will have to do that
Cody Lee

Keep honking I am reloading!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 07:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

300 should be pretty easy to obtain from a 350. I'd just put a decent set of iron heads on it (World Products comes to mind) , a small (maybe 480 lift/280 duration) cam, and have a chip burnt..it should make 300hp at the motor with no problems at all. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

By no means am I am expert but I would say you need to do some research before anything is purchased. I would also get in touch with a shop that is familiar with building Chevy small blocks for use in a towing/off-road truck. Don't get too wrapped up in HP numbers because its torque that you are after. Higher horsepower comes into play at higher RPMs. That being said we all know that if you want to make power it happens in the heads. So spend your money there. But don't just buy the ones that flow the most. You want the set that flows the most at the amount of lift you be using. So watch out for heads that flow big in the low lift area because those are the ones you want. Next you have to look at cams. I don't have a ton of advice for cams but I think comp cams makes an extreme 4X4 series made for what you want. At any rate with a TBI system I would try to keep the Lobe seperation between 112-114 so it is computer friendly. Contact the cam company and ask what to pick and why. You want something that is going to work with your heads. With an informed selection of parts you should be able to reach 350 Ft/Lb of torque without any problems.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 10:35 AM
Veteran

Let me use my nice Desktop Dyno program [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. A 350 with Vortec or WP Torquer heads, 8.5:1 compression, headers, Xtreme Energy 256 camshaft or Xtreme 4x4 254 camshaft will be in the 380 fl.lbs area from 2000 to 4500 rpm. Horsepower is around 310 @ 5000 rpm with those parts. Rollertip rockerarms is a good choice. All flywheel figures of course. If you wanna spend some more $$ go with a hydraulic roller cam, it will free up an additional 30 ft.lbs & 40 hp.

Andreas

<font color=blue>Member of the secret sbc400 club</font color=blue>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 11:04 AM

can i have your desktop dyno toy??? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 04:12 PM
Veteran

shorts NO [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] but you can supply me the cam specs, compression, type of intake, type of exhaust, type of fuel supply & cfm and head info and I will get you the numbers (hp & tq).

Andreas

<font color=blue>Member of the secret sbc400 club</font color=blue>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 05:59 PM
Can't Get Enough

Hey Cody, i would go with andreas and get a hold of Comp cams or crane and see what they could make to match a set of vortec heads. Not too extreme, but make good power and be reliable most likely.

ryan

pics of the V30
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 07:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are going to use vortec heads, you also need to find a matching vortec manifold. Jeg's lists several vortec manifolds, but none can be used with the TBI setup. I think that this can be solved be making an adapter plate to bolt up the TBI to the four barrel manifold, it shouldn't be too hard to do. Just find some metal stock and use gaskets for templates.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode