fustrating exhaust!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 07:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

fustrating exhaust!!

so i finaly make my disision on what exhaust i will get for my 99 chevy tahoe 2 door. i picked the flowmaster force 2, so i call up flowmaster and they tell me that the right cat back system for my truck is the same as a 98 so i go to my local speed shop and he calls flowmaster to make sure its the right one. sure enuf it was the wrong one!! the one they said would fit my truck had 1 pipe coming from the flang after the cats, well i have 2. and then they told me that the 97 that has the 2 pipes would not fit my truck because mine is a 99 and something with the body is different, so flowmaster tells the guy at the shop that my exhust is not stock. well it is because it has a GM stamp on it. so in short flowmaster is telling me that i have to go out a have someone build my custom exhaust. so we measured and everything and the 97 cat back system looks like it will fit. i am keeping my fingers crossed and we are getting it tom. so if it works i wil be very happy and if it does not, then its off to saving more money for a custom job. and one more anoying point is that if i call up the other exhaust manufactures they will say that there is no such thing as a 99 chevy 2 door tahoe, i guess i have a truck that was never really built then and is in my dreams.
sorry everyone i had to vent a little bit, ok maybe a lot. but this exhaust system is getting me mad and i can't stand how wisper quiet the stock is, I NEED NOISE!!!!!

*life is nothing without challanges*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 08:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: fustrating exhaust!!

I've got that same kit on my 96 4dr...if it's got 2 pipes from the catback going into the muffler, the 97 system should work. I put it on myself, took like 2 hours total, partly because I cut the rear pipe off with a hacksaw.

FYI...it's not gonna be all that loud. Mine sounds decent, but it was quieter than I was hoping for. It's leaps and bounds better than stock though.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 08:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You should forget about all those speed shops they sold me the wrong muffler for my 97 2 door. Just go to a good local exhaust shop and ask them, i had a sigle side exit with a flowmaster 50 series and it was about $250. I she no reason why there should be any difference between a 97 and 99. My freinds 2000 Z71 4 door has the same inlets/outlets as my hoe.
Hope i have been of some help.

97 2dr Tahoe,All terrains,Flowmaster, more to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 08:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i know what you mean about them tellin you they dont have a 99 2 door tahoe since i bought my truck (over 2 years ago ) ive been told they never made an extended cab k1500 with a 1 piece driveshaft guess i have the only one cuz nobody can get me the right u joints for it

when in doubt, let er feed
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 09:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i got news for ya - a "custom" exhaust will cost less than the flowmaster one. just buy a flowmaster muffler and have a shop do the pipes. i have duals on mine and it was only $150 for muffler, pipes, and installation. those kits alone are like $275

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 some goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 10:25 PM

i'm with mike...forget the kit and get a custom job. just purchase whatever muffler you want and have the shop bend the pipes.

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 07:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Im with Mike on that also.Your truck exhaust is already stainless all you need is a muffler & some tips maybe some custom piping.Everything w/ labor should be about $225.I have had three trucks done like this.

2000 Z71 4" Rancho 295/75/16 AR Baja's
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 07:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I looked into getting duals put on my truck...but decided against it. Most of the trucks I see out here have their muffler shop systems rust off in two years, as I can't find anybody who uses stainless pipe in their fabrication work. Since Wisconsin winters are hell on trucks/cars..I just went with the Flowmaster kit. I'm not all that happy with it, either (already surface rusting) but it should last longer than a custom system.

Besides, I like doing exhaust work by myself. It builds character. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode