Heads and Intakes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Heads and Intakes

well i was thumbing through Jegs catalog..they had all the nice crate motors in there. they also had cast iron vortec heads. well, i get to edelbrock section and start wondering....if i were changing heads, which will give the TBI more improvement. also, with vortec heads, a new intake is needed. what exactly has to be changed? is the only difference the bolt pattern between the intake and the heads? <font color=red>ok, i read up, i can get dual bolt patterened vortec heads for $450pr so i can keep my original TBI manifold</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] EDIT: HEADS ARE NOT DUAL BOLT PATTERNED. SEE POST "WRONG INFO...VORTEC HEADS" <font color=red>or i can get the regular bolt patterned vortec heads, in addation get the special TBI-to-vortec heads for $305....uh, i think the dual patterned heads are fine</font color=red> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

anyhow, vortec heads are approx. $220 each...edelbrock performers are $$$ (jegs mentioned $1099?????!!!!!??)

say i went with an edelbrock performer intake...and i wanted new heads. do i want vortec heads? or edelbrock heads? i know edelbrock packages work together, but would vortec heads out perform them with some port work? or vice versa? <font color=red> i did read that ported vortec heads out performed some 23* trick flow heads...cool....i'm thinking vortec heads($450) and original TBI manifold</font color=red>

i'm just thinking.....not really in position to get the stuff...but humor me for future knowledge [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

<font color=red>well, i didn't want to go to a carb....i'm actuslly pretty fond of the TBI</font color=red>

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Heads and Intakes

Do you live in an emissions-testing county? If no...I'd put a carb on it in a heartbeat. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Um, seriously, I don't know much, but from my limited experience working with "Captain America", my old school's TBI 350 powered propane vehicle, the TBI system doesn't respond that well to more airflow. You can get 'em to run great with heads/cam via a custom PCM chip...but that's a helluva lot of effort.

I do know for certain that the Vortec heads wouldn't be nearly as good ported over the 'out of the box' Edelbrock heads. And I think Jegs is on crack..most aftermarket heads, including the Edelbrocks sell for about $1000, assembled. That isn't a bad deal, all things considering. Check Summit Racing...I love them so much, I spent over $2k there this past spring! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Good luck.

"my truck needs a whipplecharger"

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

i love summit [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] they're usually a tad($.05) cheaper than jegs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 07:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

EDIT: didn't notice extra info...

Yea, the Vortec heads are decent. I still like the Edelbrock's better. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you want to keep the TBI (which you indicated) I'd get the dual pattern heads, do some massaging with a dremel tool on them, and maybe gasket match the intake and intake ports. If you get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, you can get by without the chip. You gonna get a mild cam for it too?

I've been to Summit's retail store in Ohio 3 times now...I was like a kid in a candy store, lol

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 07:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

your not in the position to be doing those mods?
I think Id go with edlebrock heads cam and intake, thats right at 1500 for everything, but thats not includeing the gaskets youd need, 1500s a guess but i think its in the ball park

14B SF rear, Sh!t up front
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 01:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Depends on whta you are looking for, but for a truck motor with a mild use appplication I cannot imagine a better head than the Vortec. These heads make 330 hp out of the box with a mild cam and the edelbrock intakes.

I can't imagine spending the kind of cash on the edelbrock heads to haul a truck around. Remember that in most off-road applications the motor is only a power-plant to spin the DRIVETRAIN, which is where the real magic happens.

Buy the Vortecs and use the saved money to put towards a SFA conversion.

Also, I could not bring myself to ditch a TBI system and all its benefits to save a few hundred bucks and gain a few horsepower.

Again, your choice, but I would stick with the vortec/edelbrock/tbi application.

Also, look up the flow numbers before you start porting. Vortecs do not gain enough to justify the time.

Later,
Shane Bevel

BTW, we are building a race motor for my brothers camaro using a 383 and vortec heads. It is set to make 450hp with a fairly serious but streetable cam.

The Roanoke (VA) Times Photo Department
1986 3/4 ton 4x4 'Burban 5.7L Vortec Powered
2000 Specialized Rockhopper FSR
[img] http://people.unt.edu/~shaneb/front.jpg [/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

shane, that's exactly the kind of support i wanted to hear! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

i want to use my TBI, vortec heads, edelbrock intake, and edelbrock cam.

i want some good mild performance for regular driving, as well as playing and working.

would i eventually have to get a chip burned for everything? or would it be ok since everthing i'm going to use is computer friendly?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 08:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shorts-

The vortec heads are nice yes. I myself prefer World Heads. Larger valves, no messing with bolt patterns, ETC. Also, I've noticed that nobody here has talked about the EGR problem with swapping the vortec heads to an pre-96 350. They don't have the EGR ports in the heads, so you have to run a tube from one of the exhaust manifolds. Most all headers for the 88-95 trucks have a couple blockouts where you could fab one. I know my JBA's have 2. Also, look into swapping the Edelbrock Multiport injection. We did it for my friends 95 Z71, and power took off like a rocket. Mileage went up to about 20 on the highway, about 16 around town. You can do the multiport conversion, for the TBI computer, with the vortec heads, edelbrock sells the kit for doing just that. They also send a EGR with it. Those guys are way ahead of the game. The vortec heads are also a 64cc chamber, stock chevy heads are 76cc. So, plan on running super unleaded, or keeping your truck super cool. I put the World Torquer heads on my 94, and they are a big difference. They run about $650/pair, I bought mine from SDPC, Summit, Jegs, any aftermarket guy will sell them to you all day long. I've done alot of motor mods to my truck, some good, some bad. If you want the full list, let me know.

Rhino

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 09:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shorts,
No problem. I know how good it feels to hear exactly what you want to hear.

The World heads are nice and do have standard bolt patterns and an EGR port. BUT. I would look up the numbers in super chevy or something like that. From what I remember the Vortecs make more power than the World's even with smaller valves. The flow numbers on these heads are unreal!

People are starting to prefab solutions to the EGR problem. I live out in the country and don't have to have one. But I am not sure how they work since the intakes are not tapped for an EGR valve.

The Roanoke (VA) Times Photo Department
1986 3/4 ton 4x4 'Burban 5.7L Vortec Powered
2000 Specialized Rockhopper FSR
[img] http://people.unt.edu/~shaneb/front.jpg [/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 02:37 PM
RolngThun

Another option, Edelbrock's version of the Vortec. The E-Tech. They are aluminum, cost around a grand for a set, and come in two different intake port sizes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode