brake horror story - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 03:43 PM
BigBlueZ71

brake horror story

I took my moms '97 dodge caravan into a brake shop today to have them change the pads on it, it started squealing really bad, well apparently it had been doing that for a very long time and my mom just got around to telling me about it. SO I took it in there, the ....rotor?...looked like someone had shaved stripes in it, really deep scores, the front brakes were totally metal to metal, and the back ones, some kinda piston seal had broken on both the back ones. They're quoting me about 500 bucks on top of the $99.88 deal for new pads and all that stuff. Does this sound right or are my parents getting totally screwed over....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 04:27 PM
72dreamer

Re: brake horror story

are they replacing rotors on the front? do the rears use drums and are they replacing those or shaing them down a bit? i don't think a hardware replacement kit for drums is that expensive even for both drums. $600 total?

Marriage is like a skin graft, it may or may not take.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 09:05 PM
BigBlueZ71

Ok total cost turned out a little over $500. Here's the story, the rear (drum i assume) brakes had a leak in some...piston I think he called it, there was some seal that had leaked, causing a loss of pressure, so that put most of the stopping pressure up front, which in turn wore down the front brake pads, the front right one put out so much head that it burned up the "somethingorother" which he said swelled and did something, i dont remember, anyway on the front left, the pad had worn down completely, so it was metal on metal which then grinded down the rotor, the ruts in that rotor looked to be about...3-5mm deep, so he ended up replacing pretty much everything in the back, and then both "pistons"(I think thats what they were) up front, he put the front left rotor on the machine and leveled it off, it barely worked, but he said it would be fine. new pads front and rear.....so pretty much lesson learned here, GO GET YOUR BRAKES FIXED WHEN YOU EVEN SUSPECT THERE IS A PROBLEM, my mom is not big into cars so she just thought the constant grinding noise was caused by the "indicators" on the pads hahaha apparently she has been thinking this for about a month now, man.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 09:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My daily driver is a 93 caravan. I love it BTW. I did the brakes on mine. I had a cracked caliper and replaced both front rotors and pads. The rotors were $27 each, pads were $16?? I got the expensive ones, caliper that I likely cracked was $39. All from auto zone. The only thing i messed up on was I forgot the sleave the caliper slides on in the old caliper and had to go back and get it from the store. If you dont have a book for van get one. All this stuff is so simple and people charge so much to do it. Brakes are not magical. Very simple. Now the Ultra glide transmission! now that bad boy is magical! How does it excelerate while the RPM's drop?? Does it shift into neutral when it coast's ? how do the RPM's goto 500 when you take foot off gas at 35? Got to love reverse engineering from the aliens.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 10:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Frank do you mean "ultra drive" I had a 85 that was a great veh. mine had the 2.6 mitsubitshi odd enouph mine ran great and is still in service around hear.

88 (SPORT)1500 4X4 6in. SUPERLIFT, 35X12.50 BFG AT

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 06:18 PM
Can't Get Enough

I went to get prices for all the p[arts for my 1-ton for front and rear and with everything but rotors and drums it came out to be 269.22. the rotors cost 70 a piece i think so it would have been $410 or so for parts. the fronts are extremely easy to do and the rears are easy if you can remember what something looked like before you took it apart. get the book and learn how to do brakes. it saves a lot of money. hell, it cost 230 to get the front brake pads changed and the rotors turned on my 98 malibu at the dealer a few months back. and what sucks more is that i had only put 9000 miles(50% highway) on them since the last brake job in november.

pics of the V30
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 07:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

From my experience from working in a shop, that might sound about right if all four wheels were done. That might sound crazy, but you have to add in about $60 an hour for labor, and it is usually about two hours for each end(front or back). Not to mention that although the shop gets a discount on parts, they usually add onto it and you end up paying more for them, than if you went and bought them yourself.

Shoeless00

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 07:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep, ultra drive. Sorry.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode