Oxy Sensors - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 08:52 AM
72dreamer

Oxy Sensors

i understand i have 2 oxy sensors to replace, right? has anyone done this or is this something the dealer has to change out?
where are they located and should i go with the oem product?
thanks you fine folks!

Marriage is like a skin graft, it may or may not take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 09:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Oxy Sensors

On what year truck? If it's a pre-96, it'll have either one or two. 96-up it'll have three.

They are extremely easy to replace. It's like a spark plug threaded into the exhaust pipe, with a wire sticking out the end. Just unplug it, then either use a 3/4" wrench or the special 'oxygen sensor removal' socket that Sears and a bunch of other places sell. It's in the exhaust though...so expect it to be slightly rusty. Put some anti-seize on the new one, tighten it down, and reconnect the wire...and you're done. Pretty simple.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 09:10 AM

oh yes....you'll have a few if its post '96....

you'll either have a singled-wired O2, or a 4-wired O2..... '94 and newer, it'll be 4-wired(heated O2) sensor. the price difference between the two are significant. if you unfortunately have the heated O2, you're looking $40-$60 each [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

you can get them at the dealer or at autozone or somewhere like that. Bosch makes a good replacement sensor.

before you try to undo the nut, warm up the exhaust a little bit by running the truck. then spray the wd40...uh, i guess watch out for flames [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 10:15 AM
72dreamer

yeah, it's a '98. so i'm looking at needing 3 of em? at $40 -$60 bucks a piece? man that's a mud tire! i had plan to get a service manual prior to doing this.
i guess autozone can tell me the quantity and correct part numbers. hopefully.
and at how many miles should they be replaced?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 10:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's not so much how many miles are on it...usually the computer will tell you when it's time for some new ones. As a general guideline though, I like to replace the two closest to the motor every 100k miles or so. If your truck is tuned right they can last forever. And you shouldn't ever have to replace the rearmost one.

Good luck!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 11:24 AM
72dreamer

hey thanks y'all for the info. i guess i'll just get two of em. gives me something to do for memorial day.
i also have to wash and polish/wax the truck. seems someone out there is a little envious and decided to key my beautiful ebony queen of a truck from one end to the other. it's noticeable since it's black. couldn't of been someone i know since i moved to a new town. oh well, they could've done worse. thanks again!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 12:32 PM

oh man...that's crappy that your truck got keyed [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 12:38 PM
72dreamer

tell me about it. but i've seen a black polish at wally world and i'll see how good that removes. i might have to go over it twice. we'll see.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode