RETITLED-AJM and Drew K1500 discuss military life - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

RETITLED-AJM and Drew K1500 discuss military life

Just looking to talk to you about your experiences with the 2-3" Rancho lift. Like to compare notes before I rip the thing out.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Love to keep the height if I could.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 04:16 AM

Re: Anyone running or who has run a 2-3\" Rancho lift?

How did you like the lift kit, and what modifications does it involve (Is it just diff lowering brackets and new torsion bars?) I'm thinking about this kit for my '93. Also, how durable was it, and what was involved in the installation (any cutting, etc?) Thanks.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 07:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

2-3" ifs chevy kits,
dif lowering brackets, longer upper A arms (an atttmept correct camber angles), longer front brakelines , with blocks or adaleafs in the back.

AJM,
whats wrong with yours?? i thought you got your alignment problems corrected?
Ive been hearing moe about how the 2-3" lift kits cant bring the alingments back to specs causeing b ad tire wear, its also come to be known as a pre runner kit down here since on a prerunner the alignment wouldnt realy matter except for tow, becasue there in the air so much.

Well Im just up real early agian
Evan

14B SF rear, Sh!t up front
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 09:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The guy who installed my lift did not like that Rancho lift because of some bushing that caused bad alignment problems.He told me he would'nt install Rancho any more until he found out they corrected the problem(which they did)I have 20000 miles on my 2000 Rancho so far flawless.

2000 Z71 4" Rancho 295/75/16 AR Baja's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

bowtiepower, I like how the truck looks when the front is cranked to about 2.5" of lift. Looks really good then. However, I just can't seem to get it to align for anything. Now, I know of people running the Skyjacker and Rough Country 2-3" kits, and they have no problems like I do. Most of them are running them on the later trucks with the stronger 3-bolt idler arms, but one has a Rough Country kit on a 92 Blazer just like mine, and he has no problems either. So I can't figure out for sure if it's the steering or the lift, or a combination of both.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I do have to say though, if I were to do it all over again and were going to buy a 2-3" lift, I'd get the Rough Country kit because theirs includes the torsion bars, which I had to buy seperately, for just a little bit more than the Rancho kit costs.

It's a 1" diff lowering bracket and upper A-arms that "supposedly" correct for the 1-2" of torsion bar cranking that you do to get the other 1-2" of the lift.

GMC_JASON, I found a website where a guy was talking about this lift on his 89 Chevy, and he has nothing but bad things to say about it. I was talking to a 4x4 place down here, and they didn't have much good to say either.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Like I said before, I'd love to keep the height, but if I can't fix it, off it goes.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 07:39 PM
Drew K1500

I have had the Skyjacker version of this lift on my 93 1/2 ton for 3 years with no alignment problems. The only thing is that the alignment must be done a a decent shop who knows how to slot the upper control arm brackets.

How does it feel to be beaten by a sewing machine?
HUSQVARNA WXC610
Fly Your Flag, Support our Veterans

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Drew, got a question for you about "slotting the upper control arm brackets".

What is it, and how do you do it?

Aircraft, Cars, and Me
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 09:56 PM

I believe he is talking about the cams that are put in the upper control arm mount in the frame. They are installed at the factory and usually are removed when you get your first alignment. If you have not removed these yet, thats more than likely your problem. To remove them or check them you have to take the bolts holding your UCA to the frame out and see if they run through a slot or if there are little tabs tack welded to the slot that keep the bolts in one location.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 10:14 PM

AJM, I recently had this problem.

Look where your upper control arms mate to the frame, where the cam adjustment bolt is inserted is only a hole in stock form, however this hole is drilled through a tackwelded insert. You need to remove this insert ( I used a big hammer and a big punch). Once removed you will gain about 3/4" adjustment for the camber/caster. Remove all of them then replace the control arms, fasten it down and take it to the alignment shop ( I took mine to the Chevy dealer, they did a damn fine job, and were cheaper than anyone else!!!).

I often cursed my lift until I got it properly aligned (You may have read about my nightmares in earlier posts). Now everything rides, handles, and looks absolutely perfect!!!!!!!!

95 K1500 3"suspension, 3" Body Lift 35x12.5/15 pro comp MT's on 15x8 Rockcrawlers, 5.7L,K&N,Custom Intake, Gutted Cat, Free Flowing Edelbrock Exhaust, KC-Daylighters

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 11:17 PM
Drew K1500

What they said. Hey Chevsuz12. What benefits/drawbacks did you get from your guttted cat? Still pass emissions?

How does it feel to be beaten by a sewing machine?
HUSQVARNA WXC610
Fly Your Flag, Support our Veterans

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode