new Avalanche - Page 4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 03:42 PM

Re: new Avalanche

tim, you were phukin groovin on that disclaimer. good stuff. when i first saw the plastic wagon, i hated it. didn;t like the "look" of it. theni realized something. i have never owned a vehicle bvecause of its "look". hell, half of my vehicles we're camoflaged with homemade brush guards welded in. not pretty at al...but they were mine, they did what i needed them to do and i love them for what they were. granted my far superior to stock ranger with the lift, 302 and 35s doesn;t compare to my Z-71, but they are 2 different trucks for 2 diferent target audiences. the more i look at the avalanche and the schematics and prints for it, the more i like it for what it is. an incredibly versatile vehicle. as a soon-to-be-enginer, i havea lot of respect for what the guys at GM were doing. its the marketing guys that screwed up on the looks thing. do i like the truck as a truck...yes..and as an SUV, and a MPV...its versatile. but i wish they could do it with a more conservative body style. that thing is schwag.
---Peacock

<font color=red>96 Z-71 EXTcab, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

I saw millions of these things on the road today driving home from work. Driver safety has got to be high on this thing because that sure looks like some kind of a bumper all the way around it. In all truth though, I still can't decide if I like them or not. I can say I don't see them being as sought after as an Edsel or a Tucker though, more like an early model Beretta or something.

post #33 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 06:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like them alot, but would never buy one. Becouse I don`t think the mid gate and hard cover would hold up to the abuse I`d give it.

Do what you have to, just get it up! CHEVY 4x4`s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 07:01 PM

The Idea is great, but they should have left the normal front clip on it as well as steel rails on the "box sides".I must say I hope the build the K5 that they had at SEMA this year, it was just sweet.

Soon to be 1976 chev K-30, 427,t400,203,D60F,14Br,4.56
post #35 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 12:35 PM

I've got a couple but I don't have access to a scanner very often [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. Off-hand I think the only ones I have are of me loading it onto a trailer to put it into storage before I PCS'd down here to Texas. My baby has been sitting neglected and alone for almost two years now...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] as soon as I find them and get them scanned I'll post them for you. I should be able to get it done this weekend...
edit oh yeah, it's still got the original Dana 27 up front and a cheesy home-made body lift (one of the previous owners) with wannabe lift shackles. But, this is the cool part: there's a dash plaque that reads "Bakersfield Sand Drags..." Have you found anyone that makes a lift for this or I stuck with custom stuff? I don't really have the resources to get exotic with it. I was thinking about taking the axles from my Blazer (Dana 44 and Corporate 12 bolt w/spool) and the stock springs from my old Wrangler and doing a spring over conversion. Who knows, at one time I was thinking about modifying Warn or Pro-Comp's coil spring conversion and putting that on...
'78 Chevy Blazer w/300hp Goodwrench 350, SM465, NP205 T-case.
'61 Willys Utility Wagon w/Chevy 350, TH350 ,NP203 T-case, and a broken Ford 9" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].
post #36 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 02:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like the Avalanche. I want to see the 2500 version though with the 8.1L engine (which is standard by the way). Besides not being able to afford one, my problem is that for the same amount of money I could get a 2500HD crew cab, but I do like the idea of being able to take the rear window or put the midgate down.

97 K1500, 4" Rancho, 35" Wild Country AWs, custom dual exhaust
post #37 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 02:30 PM

Bakersfield Sand Drags? I live in Bakersfield.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Sand Drags have been gone for a while though.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Anyway, national spring will make the springs fore pretty cheap. I think that would be the best way to go. I have never found a prebuilt lift kit for one. I'm doing a coil-over so I won't need the leafs or anything.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #38 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 03:20 PM

I knew about National Spring but I was trying to find somebody who would have everything in one shot... speaking of, this may seem like a dumb question but to figure out shock size I extend the supension, measure and compress the suspension, measure right?

'78 Chevy Blazer w/300hp Goodwrench 350, SM465, NP205 T-case.
'61 Willys Utility Wagon w/Chevy 350, TH350 ,NP203 T-case, and a broken Ford 9" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].
post #39 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 05:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That is correct tx

Do what you have to, just get it up! CHEVY 4x4`s
post #40 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 06:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ben427 I think that you've got it right they should have used all the good ideas and left out the ugly and the plastic.

Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode