new member - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and 4-wheeling. I am looking for a suspension lift (4-6") for my '92 Chevy 1/2 Ton. Any good internet sites?
Right now, I am running 31" BFG M/T. What size tire (15" rims) can I run with 6" of suspension and 3" of body lift??
The stock gearing is 3.42. I am on a limited budget (college student with 1 year left). How big of a performance decrease will I expect to see if I run say 35's with the 3.42 gears? I expect to go to 4.56's but not right away (no $$$).

'92 Chevy 1/2 Ton, 31" BFG M/T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 11:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: new member

I ran 35"s with 3.42s for a while and it was very sluggish off the line. It also made my OD useless. You may be able to stuff a 38" in there with 9" of lift but this depends on a few other factors such as type of suspension lift, width of tires and rims, etc. I wouldn't want to run that big of a tire with 1/2 ton gear though.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Somebody once said "Go Big" . . . Well we're goin' Full Size[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just my personal recommendation. I'm new to this list but have been wheeling for years in close to stock vehicles due to raising 3 kids & lack of funds. Go out & do some wheeling with your truck the way it is, in stock or close to stock form milder trails will be enough of a challenge. You can save up some money while getting to know your truck. Become an experienced driver, I've seen a mild truck with $4000.00 - $5000.00 into it with a good driver negotiate trails more elegantly than a novice driver in a rig with $30K tied up in it. Do a lot of research & don't jump the gun on lifts & big tires, 35's with 3.42 gears won't help your performance off-road. Don't be too anxious to do modifications or you're likely to spend/waste money, like getting too tall a tire & not having the money to install lower gears.
Try to come up with a plan & do the mods in the correct order so you don't have a cool looking truck that won't perform off-road. Remember you need to eat once in a while too as this can become an obsession. Ask a lot of questions here and listen to those who have a rig similar to what you want. Welcome to the list & have fun.

Andy Bridgeman Longmont, CO '87 Samurai '88 K3500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 11:16 AM

well, you'll take a good hit with 35s and 3.42s. like jim said, your OD will be useless. if you worked a little bit, you cold grenade a diff with 35s and 3.42s [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] ........who's done that??????? ryan?? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

check out the recent posts on lifts and gears...as well as the archives. there's a bazillion posts on the subjects

btw, membership dues are due no later than 2 weeks from joining the board...i prefer money order, paypal, gift certificates to best buy, summit, or any fine steakhouses [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 11:48 AM
72dreamer

and to add to short's membership rules, if you have a confusing name (such as shorts or blt2ski) you must explain the meaning and such.
also, you can settle all membership dues requested by other members by just sending me a 34x9x16 tsl super swamper. i'll do all the legal paperwork myself.

Marriage is like a skin graft, it may or may not take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode