Radiator Goo - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 08:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Radiator Goo

I'm starting to fix up an old 73 chevy to do a little mudrunning and i noticed when checking the radiator out, it has a thin oil goo coating on the inside of the radiator and hoses. is this a sign this thing ran hot and cracked the block and oil leaking in? the only time i have ever seen this before the oil in the rad will be white and foamy, but this is grey and real thick and not foamy. i also noticed this truck doesn't have a t-stat in it making me think the coolant isn't getting hot enough to liquify and mix the oil. any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 11:37 AM

Re: Radiator Goo

umm, this is a guess outta left field, but could it be the silicon from the antifreeze that the truck used? you know, the coats just added up. and if the trucks been sitting, then maybe the goo is just...i don't know, transforming/growing/aging/curing maybe???? did i just sound real dumb there??? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 11:52 AM
72dreamer

it almost sounds like your describing some pellets used for radiator sealing. i forgot the name of it and don't know if they still sell it. might also be lubricant for your water pump.

Marriage is like a skin graft, it may or may not take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 12:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i believe we've figured it out around here. we believe it's water pump lubricant put in there from the original owner. i called the fella i bought the truck from, he said it was there when he bought it. he said he thought the same as i did for a awhile (cracked block) but there was no decrease in oil or white foamy stuff ever. since the post this morning i put purple power in the rad to clean it, lo-and-behold after about 15 minutes of running, the pump started squeaking. so we looked at each other and the light bulb clicked, LUBRICANT ! so i do believe this is good stuff and not bad now. thanks everybody for the replies on and off the board! mick

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 12:54 PM

Yeah, they still sell it. Thats what my grandpa used for years in his trucks. Got a leak, just throw some pellets in there and your set. The stuff he used was barnes leak or barrs leak or something.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 01:05 PM
72dreamer

ah ha! so it was lube!

"hey thanks alot 72!"

"no prob mick. glad i could help"

"you're the best 72!"

"oh stop, you're too kind."

Marriage is like a skin graft, it may or may not take.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 01:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Awha ha ha !
sorry 72, i should've read that one a liiiiiittle closer !
HEY 72, YOU DA MAAAAAAN ! thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode