Opinion poll.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 07:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Opinion poll....

I posted a pic of my truck in Shorts' swaybar topic...and got to thinking. I have some fender flares for it that I've been meaning to install. Going to paint them gloss black to match the truck...blah blah blah. Anyways, I'd have to trim at least part of the beltline moulding away. Should I just remove all of it? Not sure if it will clean up the appearance or not. Thoughts?
For reference:

-and-

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 08:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Opinion poll....

Take all the moulding off. I think it gives the vehicle alot smoother look. I hear it can be a pain though getting that double sided tape off the paint. If I ever make my truck bigger I'll put fender flares on and take my moulding off. Just watch though with fender flares and a 3" body and 33" tires on 10" rims, you'll probably have to trim a little off the flare itself on the bottom inside back edge. If your tires are rubbing there now, they'll certainly hit the flare. A friend of mine installed Xenon flares on his chevy 3" body lift and 33's on 10" rim and he didn't trim his flare and the rubbing actually pulled out his fastening screws...

- Rick - 98' GMC X-Cab Z-71 33 X 12.50 BFG MT, 2" Body Lift
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 08:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's what I was thinking...I've heard that tape is a huge pain to remove. I'm not looking forward to it.

I do know the flares will rub. If you look in that first picture, the tire is already contacting the fender. It crunched it in about 2" when the suspension compressed, so I'll have to bend that out sooner or later. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]. Not sure if I'll trim them yet, as I may just put another 2" of suspension lift on it right away.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 11:27 AM
72dreamer

let adhesive remover do the work for you. bout 5 bucks a can at oreilly.

Marriage is like a skin graft, it may or may not take.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 11:34 AM

yup... use 3Ms wax and adhesive remover. that's what i used when i had to straighten out my door molding. i wanted to de-mold my truck, but a body shop guy did a real S#!^%# job when he "repaired" the gash in the door [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

if you want to see what it looks like, or get a general idea, do some cutting and pasting and cloning there with your photo editor software. i do that with my truck all the time. mine gets repainted, spots, no wheels, black outs, no mirrors...all kinds of things! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 12:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Guess I'll be picking up some adhesive remover. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I've photoshopped some stuff on my truck before, I was just too lazy in this particular instance to do it before I asked opinions. But...now that I look at it more closely, I'm definitely gonna remove the mouldings.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 12:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

leave the trim

14B SF rear, Sh!t up front
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 04:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you wanna see what it looks like without it, search on this board b/c theres a guy with a tahoe very similar to yours that did it. his is mainly a street truck but looks pretty nice. ive seen it done on several trucks and it looks good. when i repaint mine, im gonna leave the moldings off mainly b/c im not gonna pay the high price for new ones but it looks pretty cool too. i dont remember the guys name though, maybe he will post here

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 some goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode