gas gauge - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

gas gauge

My gas gauge has been "sticking" on very full. Every once in a while it will shake loose and work. Is the float sticking or is there a short somewhere? How can I tell? Thanks guys.

1996 2Dr. 4X4 Tahoe, 350 Vortec, 3.73 gears, Magnaflow 3" Catback, Airaid Intake, and a bent front diff. skid plate! (Stock susp. on 265's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 11:35 AM

Re: gas gauge

mine's done that once. i'm thinking its just the float getting stuck.

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 12:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how long does it "stick" for? GMs gas guages are notorious for staying at "full" forever then once you get to half, youre actually at about 1/4 so it drops quick. if thats not it though, prob the float if youre not having probs with any other guages

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 some goodies, but not enough! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

If it is the float getting stuck, is there a way to fix it? My gauge is now always showing full.

1996 2Dr. 4X4 Tahoe, 350 Vortec, 3.73 gears, Magnaflow 3" Catback, Airaid Intake, and a bent front diff. skid plate! (Stock susp. on 265's)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just went through this with my 92 Blazer. When I bought it the Gas guage always read full. When I dropped the tank I found the actual float had fallen off the sending unit. Apparently the previous owner had replaced the pump and broke the plastic that the float clips into. So I bought a new pickup assembly with the float from Autozone. It was a direct fit. I couldn't locate anything that would work from the local junkyards. Your gauge will also read full all the time if the ground wire connection is bad. Only way you will find out is to drop the tank. That part is pretty easy if you do it when you are almost out of gas. Good luck.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I will have to find some time to drop the tank.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 03:41 PM

drop the tank? nots to that. i almost had to in my old bronco....with a full 38gallon tank. i took out the oxytorches (not the safest way, but a saw-z-all will do it) and cut through the bed above the tank. replaced pump, and welded back in place. with a truck it might be easier to just remove the bed bolts.
---Peacock

<font color=red>96 Z-71 EXTcab, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train </font color=red>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 03:44 PM
BigBlueZ71

man, cutting holes in the bed?? haha well do what ya gotta do but I would suggest waiting until the tank is empty to drop it. I haven't dropped the tank on my truck yet but I did drop the tank on my 1977 Datsun 280Z, my dad and I had like 5 big buckets full of gas before we could drop it..not exactly the safest way of doing it...

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 10:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if its full way past full, i would bet on wiring, find a wire that sends the info to your gauge, i had a wire that actually broke in the middle of it, it was aluminium wire believe it or not, and it made the gauge get stuck over full, might be it

Will work for mods

Current mods--&gt; 31x10.5x15 ProComp MT, 15x8 AR767 rims, K&N, MSD Ignition Coil.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 11:33 PM
Mud in my Veins

I'm just wondering if anyone owns one of our trucks and has a good guage that works accurately. Mine just did the almost full to 1/2 tank drop, so I can't even say how much I have left.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode