rear disk brakes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 09:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

rear disk brakes

I'm new here and I know this has probably been asked before but I need some help. I've got a '78 K-30 with the original 10 1/2 14 bolt rear end. I want to put rear disk brakes on it and would like to hear from someone who has done it. I know ORU and TSM sell kits for the new style and I have E-mails to them asking if they can do the old style. My question to those who have done it is what exact parts did you use? I've got many conflicting responses from people on this and want some input from someone with a working system. Thanks for your time, k in ohio

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 11:09 AM

Re: rear disk brakes

check out the chevy pages...there's an install and review there.

http://www.off-road.com/chevy/

<font color=blue>Shorts</font color=blue>

Your what is stuck? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 11:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for your reply. I had seen that review and it is a nice article. I've emailed them and am waiting on a reply. I believe they are showing the new style 9 1/2 14 bolt. Mine is the 10 1/2 that you can remove the pinion out the front of the diff. case.(6 bolts) I was told this would make a diffence but maybe not. It does have full floating axles according to the info I have so I might have been mislead. Thanks again, K in Ohio

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 12:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No the one they are showing is a 10.5 ring gear ff 14 bolt. I used the TSM kit, the kit is a little revised from when ORC installed it but it is very simple and reletively cheap compared to ORU's price of 899.95. With TSM you need to buy calipers, brake hoses, Brakes pads and an adjustable proportioning valve. My total i think came out to just a little over half the cost of ORU's kit, and took me less than 2 hours total to complete. Anyone who buys ORU's kit is nuts! Go with TSM.

Good Luck,
Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode