Where can I find a good rear diff. cover. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 12:13 AM
BigBlueZ71

Where can I find a good rear diff. cover.

Ok just because i was bored right after i got my truck, I painted my rear differential with "chrome" paint to see if it would look like a chrome cover. well it looks like crap now, where can I get the real thing and what do yall suggest. i've been bored for like the past month, haven't done any mods and I feel like repainting my back axle and everything under the truck and then putting on a new chrome or aluminum diff cover.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 09:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Where can I find a good rear diff. cover.

Autozone. $19.95. It is as strong as stock and cheap. I will post a pick later for you BigBlueZ71

00 Silverado Z-71. RCD 6" Suspension-PA 3" Body. 35x12.50 Procomp Tires on 16x10 KMC Tanks-Chrome (Why polish wheels all weekend)
---Low Riders are for Guys who can't get it Up!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 01:00 PM
Mud in my Veins

Don't get either. Chrome retains heat (precisely what you don't want with your gears and diff) and aluminum isn't as strong as the strong as a good steel cover. I'll go look around, because there was a site mentioned recently that sold some BEEFY AS H^%L diff covers.

It will cost a lot more than the cheapie chrome ones, and still more than the nicer aluminum ones, but go to http://www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com and take a look at the 10 bolt cover the guy has on there. That's what I want now.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Whack it off of anything you want, it isn't going to break.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 02:53 PM
BigBlueZ71

http://www.jcwhitney.com/item.jhtml?ITEMID=27345

would that fit my truck, whats up with the years on those....it only goes up to 87 I think, is that the year of the axle or something??

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 03:51 PM
Mud in my Veins

It would work, but again, chrome retains heat and all the chrome plated ones are just chrome plated tin. Chroming stuff also weakens the metal, so again, skip the pretty cover and get some beef or leave the stock one there.

I just can't see spending $25 or so on something that does nothing but look "pretty". It's a truck. I want beef. That's me though.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, 4L60, Rancho 2"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], 285/75R16 AT's, K&N, Flowmaster, MSD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Aircraft, Cars, and Me
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 06:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Finally figured out how to post pics. Sorry about any auto replies anyone received. Here is the diff cover. The heat thing is true, but I figure since I occassionally off-road and don't rock crawl this was fine.

---Low Riders are for Guys who can't get it Up!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 06:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I feel the same as AJM so thats why id prefer to go this route if Ihad the money this cover has cooling fins and also hold twice the fluid the stock ones do but there spendy heres the link to there sitehttp://www.mag-hytec.com/ and pic

14B SF rear, Sh!t up front
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-523669-MAG-HYTEC-4.jpg (20.4 KB, 2 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 06:36 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Actually travelling at highway speeds will heat that differential up more than just about any off roading you could do, even mud (since the mud has water and when muddin' the water is in contact with the diff to help carry the heat away... So the worst place it seems you could have a chrome diff cover on is something that routinely sees higher speeds... Even though air does blow across it, I don't think it would offset it... Just a thought...</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 10:56 AM

Stock replacement at the dealer is 30 bucks with gasket and new bolts for a 10 bolt cover. This also includes the stock glued in magnet which many of the chrome/aftermarket ones don't.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 11:47 AM
Veteran

Just an idea for you Ryan...I have seen some really nice diff covers painted colours like blue (the exact same colour as your truck) and then they painted the bolts a nice red. They just had the stock cover sand blasted and put a couple coats of paint on and it looks really good and it doesn't heat up like that chrome will.

Just an idea....Ryan

93 GMC Yukon
Chevy SuperStock 4x4 Truck Puller
Great Lakes Truck & Tractor Pulling Association
http://www.greatlakespull.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode