84 blazer build-up questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 02:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

84 blazer build-up questions

okay i have a whole bunch of questions for everyone out there.my friend is away and his mom wants to fix his truck up for him as a suprise for when he gets back. here are the specs of the truck. it is a 1984 k-5 blazer with a 305 engine, a 208 transfercase, and 10 bolt axles front and rear. i am unsure on the transmission but i know it isnt a th350. what could it be??

the kids mom is going to finance the whole thing and she wantws me to do the work for her. now the kid wants to run 36-40 inch tires.

the kid wants a 4 and 3 lift with 3 on the body and 4 on the suspention, he also wanted to put a 350 in it. i know the axles have to be upgraded to but i was thinking of 1/2ton or 3/4 a dana44 12bolt combo or a dana44 14 bolt ff. i talked to his mother and she is willing to buy a crate 350 so thats no problem and i know about the lifts what i need and what not. i was wondering if the trans or t-case need to be replaced or will they hold up?? also any input would be great.

MUDD_RAT: 1978 Chevy K-10 with dana 44 front, 12 bolt rear 350/350/203 running 15/39/15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 03:09 PM

Re: 84 blazer build-up questions

Is the trans a 3 or 4 speed?

What kind of wheel'n is the truck gonna see? I've seen 1/2 tone axles take a pounding on 40s in the mud.

Tire size pretty much dictates the other mods you do to the truck so that sould be the first decision made. I would stay away from 3" body lift any way I could, regardless of tire size.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 04:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

And I've seen trucks on 8" blocks front and rear.

That doesn't mean I want to drive around in them, or off-road with them or stand too close on a windy day.

If the madre is footing the bill and the kid wants 40's then call that cat in houston and buy a set of 4.56 geared military axles (d60,14ff) Last I saw that guy was selling them for about 1500-1800 a set.

If not, stick with 36's and the 10 bolts. Just my opinion.

If the tranny is a 4-speed auto then it almost has to be a 700r4 unless someone got tricky and put a 2004r in it. If it is a th400 behind a 305........ I'll kiss your ass or the motor was replaced.

If it is a 4-speed and not an auto you shouldn't have any problems out of it.

If it is a 700r4 and he plays hard.... expect trouble and then replace it with a better 700 when it blows up.

The Tcase should be fine..... Until it blows up. Then replace it.

Later,
Shaneb

The Roanoke (VA) Times Photo Department
1986 3/4 ton 4x4 'Burban 5.7L Vortec Powered
2000 Specialized Rockhopper FSR
[img] http://people.unt.edu/~shaneb/front.jpg [/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 07:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would go with the body lift on a blazer, to fit 40's your gonna need the 4 and three combo along with cutout fender flares or they will hit. Over 4" susp lifts on a blazer may start to cause bad angles at the tcase. I would just either look for a rebuilt 700r4 or swap in a th350. 84 is a bad year for the 700's. get a 3/4 ton 10 bolt and a ff 14 bolt.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 11:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If i was gone and come back and a friend of mine had done some mods to my truck I would be mad as hell, Id say wait for him to get back then everything will get done the way he wants.

Im the one turning wrenches on my truck and making all the decsions on what goes on it or comes off, maybe this kids the same way. so wait till he gets back

do you want someone working on your truck without your consent
just my .02 worth

16x8 bajas wrapped with 285 TXRs, T-BARS cranked to level, and minor trimming
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 11:54 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

If i was gone and come back and a friend of mine had done some mods to my truck I would be mad as hell, Id say wait for him to get back then everything will get done the way he wants.

Im the one turning wrenches on my truck and making all the decsions on what goes on it or comes off, maybe this kids the same way. so wait till he gets back

do you want someone working on your truck without your consent
just my .02 worth

<hr></blockquote>

<font color=blue>Have to say I'm with the kid on this one! I to whould be pissed of if I went somewhere and someone modified my truck, Without my knowing, And without my consent! And having it not built the way I wanted it whould be even worse!
My two lincolns.</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Come on Come on listen to the 40's talk!</font color=blue>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

BUT....if my mom wanted to give me enough money to do all that to my truck, holy $hit that would be tits!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 02:57 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

BUT....if my mom wanted to give me enough money to do all that to my truck, holy $hit that would be tits!

<hr></blockquote>

<font color=blue>If my mom gave my the money to do that, I'd say hell had frozen over[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], All I'm saying is that if I came home one day and someone had changed my truck as much as we're talking about here, And it wasen't the way I wanted it, Or MAYBE even if it was, I'd still be pretty ticked off. Because it's MY truck, And nobody has ANY right to do anything to it without my consent! Think about it this way instead, You take you truck to a shop, To say, Change the diff fluids, And while there're at it, The deside your axle is messed up, So they just put in a new one, And bil you for it, Ignoring the fact that maybe YOU whould want to do it yourself, Or perhaps take it to a differant shop to have it done, If in fact it was messed up, And did need to be replaced.
Just 2 more copper coins.</font color=blue>

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][b]Boomerang Boy, Captain Boomerang, What ever, It's all good![b][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 11:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

okay in reply to all the questions, first he realy wants to run 38's and and in reply to wait till it blows up and replace it she doesnt want him to come back and when he takes it in the woods something will blow up she wants the stuff that is gonna be weak replaced now. and as for not working on it because he might want to do it. the kid doesnt know anything about trucks. even if i waited till he got back he would give me the money and i would still do all the work on the truck, and to make sure i get it exactly how he wants it he has told me everything he wants done to it to find out how hard it will be before he left so i nkow what he wants done. oh ya the trans is a 4 speed automatic.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 01:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

well since you put it that way!!!

14B SF rear, Sh!t up front
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode