Gov-Lock on its way out?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard IFS Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized IFS Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Gov-Lock on its way out??

Over the last little while I've been noticing some high pitched clinking noises coming from the rear of my truck, and they have been increasing in frequency. They usually only occur when I'm starting out, and seem to go away when I'm constant on the throttle in 3rd gear.

I crawled under there yesterday because it was getting really bad and checked all of the u-joints and they seem to be fine. The steady bearing is almost new, and I don't think the noises are coming from my 205 or the tranny. So I'm left with the rear end somewhere.

Could anyone who has had their G80 grenade on them tell me what the warning sings were, if any. I'm gonna drain the diff and take a look today but any help would be possible.

Oh yeah, and last weekend I really worked that damn gov-locker getting off of some rocks; having to gas it enough until the thing locks up and such.

Thanks.

Beat up 78 GMC 3/4T Camp. Spec. 350/465/205; needs less work. 265/75R16 BFG M/T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 10:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Gov-Lock on its way out??

Could be anything or it could be everything. Who knows?? Mine Grenaded on me. (I got a new one I would sell you in a box--virgin--But since you call it a Grenade Locker I assume you won't buy it). Anyway, The Governing Rod Bent under pressure and cracked, just cracked the Sleeve it was pressed into. A $50 dollar part that can be purchased at the dealership--No Lie, but no one can fix it, not even the local GM Shop. Anyway, some really small parts washed around in the diff (real small) and wore out my carrier bearings a little and tore up the pinion bearing. The sound was like a whirring sound that went away at higher speeds (Once I heard it the first time, I heard it all the time because my damn '95 did the same thing, but it broke 23 teeth on my pinion which is why I was so worried on my new truck) Anyway, My ring and pinion were not pitted at all (I discovered and fixed quickly) and my warranty ran out. So I called West Coast Differentials and talked to ED.
(800) 510-0950. I purchased a new diff and a rebuild kit (Shims, bearings) and yanked out the old in the driveway and stuck in the new. (I have the tools, press, dials and knowledge) If the G80 has gone, jack up the diff and turn the wheels until you can see inside the G80. You will see 2 horrizontal rods with somewhat of a square box on each. The upped rod (also the smallest rod and the rod with the smallest box) is the most common point of breakage. Usually the sleeve it is in falls to pieces and the rod runs around in the fluid detroying Ring and Pinion Gear teeth, thus Grenading the whole axle and eventually putting you in a Grenade-Lok 80 state. Thanks GM. Ever wondered why Dodge and Ford only offer Limited Slips. You just found out why. A real Locker would cost too much and most trucks if they need extra traction, a limited slip will do--Except for those of us here.

00 Silverado Z-71. RCD 6" Suspension-PA 3" Body. 35x12.50 Procomp Tires on 16x10 KMC Tanks-Chrome (Why polish wheels all weekend)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2001, 10:31 AM
Blazer1970

The noises you describe sound like it could be axle bearings. Are you leaking gear oil all over your brakes / tires on either side?

'70 CST Blazer, 350, SM465, NP205.
'87 Suburban 4X4, 350, 700R4
'01 GMC 2500HD, Duramax/Allison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 01:36 AM

yeah mine went out on me. first sure fire sign that you havea problem is a loud <font color=red>BANG</font color=red> followed by a ping sound...thats a corner gear that shot out of your pumpkin hitting the mailbox on the side of the road behind you. oh, you'll also smell a pungeant odor...80-W90 with additive in it. nothing smells quite like it. hey, if you're as luck as me you'll get to keep one axle shaft though...whoohooo.
just pull the cover and check the thing out.
---Peacock

<font color=red>96 Z-71 EXTcab, richmond 3.73, detroit rear, cold air, dual flowmasters, new drive-train </font color=red>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Well it turned out that the g80 was not completely the culprit; but what I did find some shavings on the magnet and its only been a couple months since I changed the oil last, and that my rear left break was seixzed up big time. So I took the axle and drum off, and found that the star gear thing was seized big time, and the whole setup in their was muddy and stuck , and my shoes were down to the rivets and the drums are toast. I didn't even bother checking the bearings cause the whole rear is going to come out.

I think the siezed brake was messing wiht the g80 and causing some of the clunking that I was hearing. I also tightened up the old ebrake and stopped it from rattling on the exhaust.

Well I guess the moral of the story si I should have checked earlier before it got really messed up. But good thing that its a chevy and I got a whole new 14FF rear end with new shoes/drums/bearings etc for 150 bucks, and I think we have 3 or 4 14FF sitting under a truck at the shop that I could raid.

Can't beat 20 years of parts to choose from eh!

Beat up 78 GMC 3/4T Camp. Spec. 350/465/205; needs less work. 265/75R16 BFG M/T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode